What is the Proper Voltage to Open a 350v Rated Power N Channel Mosfet?

In summary, the gate voltage required to fully open a 350v rated n channel mosfet varies depending on the type of transistor and is typically given in the datasheet. It is commonly around 15V gate-to-source, with a maximum of 30V. The gate voltage is measured versus the source, not from the drain.
Crazymechanic
A simple and quick question please clear this up.
Let's say I have a 350v rated power n channel mosfet , how much of positive voltage do i have to apply to the gate to fully open the mosfet?

I know this varies from type of transistor and so but the average?
i am just getting mixed up some things like the voltage drop let's say i need to apply 20 volts does that mean that on the Drain there will be my let's say 300v dc and then on the gate i should apply like 290 or something or i just should apply 20volts.
I guess I am saying is the gate voltage measured from the drain reference or from zero volts reference?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The gate voltage is measured versus the source.

How much depends on each transistor and is given by the datasheet; 15V gate-to-source is a common value, and destruction at 30V an other common value.

1. What is a 350v rated power N channel MOSFET?

A 350v rated power N channel MOSFET is a type of transistor that is designed to handle high voltage and power levels. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to switch and amplify electrical signals.

2. What is the proper voltage to open a 350v rated power N channel MOSFET?

The proper voltage to open a 350v rated power N channel MOSFET is typically between 5-10 volts. This voltage is known as the gate-source voltage and is used to control the flow of current through the MOSFET.

3. How does the voltage affect the opening of a 350v rated power N channel MOSFET?

The voltage plays a crucial role in opening a 350v rated power N channel MOSFET. When the gate-source voltage reaches a certain threshold, it allows current to flow through the MOSFET, effectively opening it and allowing it to function in a circuit.

4. What happens if the voltage is too low or too high to open a 350v rated power N channel MOSFET?

If the voltage is too low, the MOSFET will not open and no current will flow through it. If the voltage is too high, it can damage the MOSFET and potentially cause it to fail. It is important to use the proper voltage to ensure the MOSFET functions correctly and does not get damaged.

5. Can the proper voltage to open a 350v rated power N channel MOSFET vary?

Yes, the proper voltage to open a 350v rated power N channel MOSFET can vary depending on the specific MOSFET and its characteristics. It is important to consult the datasheet or specifications for the MOSFET to determine the exact voltage needed to open it.