Displacement Calculations for Canadian and Norwegian Skiers

In summary: The solution to this problem is to use the Quadratic Formula. In summary, the Canadian skier overtakes the Norwegian skier when they've gone the same distance.
tarun766

Homework Statement

o582nr.jpg

Homework Equations

Not sure about this? (this is what I am confused about)

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt :(

Physics news on Phys.org
To help you get started:

1. Write down the equation that describes the displacement (distance in this problem) of the Canadian skier and then the Norwegian skier.

2. What does it mean (think in terms of the above equations) for the Canadian skier to overtake the Norwegian skier? What condition must be satisfied?

RobLikesBrunc said:
To help you get started:

1. Write down the equation that describes the displacement (distance in this problem) of the Canadian skier and then the Norwegian skier.

2. What does it mean (think in terms of the above equations) for the Canadian skier to overtake the Norwegian skier? What condition must be satisfied?

1. d2-d1?

2. The Canadian skier has a parabola as its position time graph and the norwegian one has a diagonal straight line starting at 1m on the y axis.

Could you explain the solution?

I have no idea what d2 and d1 are.

As for 2, you didn't really answer the question. The Canadian skier overtakes the Norwegian skier when they've gone the same distance.

What equation describes the distance that the Canadian skier has gone in some time t? And what equation describes the distance that the Norwegian skier has gone?

RobLikesBrunc said:
I have no idea what d2 and d1 are.

As for 2, you didn't really answer the question. The Canadian skier overtakes the Norwegian skier when they've gone the same distance.

What equation describes the distance that the Canadian skier has gone in some time t? And what equation describes the distance that the Norwegian skier has gone?

Yes I am not sure about the answer that is why I am asking here.

tarun766 said:
Yes I am not sure about the answer that is why I am asking here.

If you still can't even attempt the problem after what I've told you, you need to go back and actually learn the material.

The displacement of the Canadian skier is given by:

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex].

The displacement of the Norwegian skier is given by:

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{i}t[/tex].

You do the rest.

RobLikesBrunc said:
If you still can't even attempt the problem after what I've told you, you need to go back and actually learn the material.

The displacement of the Canadian skier is given by:

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex].

The displacement of the Norwegian skier is given by:

[tex]x = x_{0} + v_{i}t[/tex].

You do the rest.

Could you please write a solution? I still am not getting the correct answer.

1. What is the definition of motion displacement problem?

The motion displacement problem refers to the difficulty in measuring the exact position of an object as it moves from one point to another due to factors such as distance, speed, and direction.

2. What causes motion displacement problem?

The motion displacement problem is caused by the combination of the object's distance, speed, and direction, which makes it challenging to accurately determine its position at any given time.

3. How can motion displacement problem be solved?

The motion displacement problem can be solved by using mathematical equations such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration to calculate the object's position at different points in time.

4. What are some real-life examples of motion displacement problem?

Some real-life examples of motion displacement problem include tracking the position of a moving car or a ball thrown in the air, determining the location of a moving aircraft, or calculating the position of a satellite in orbit.

5. What is the importance of understanding motion displacement problem?

Understanding motion displacement problem is essential in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation, as it allows for accurate measurement and prediction of an object's position during motion, leading to the development of efficient and safe technologies.