1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motional emf

1. Mar 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two long parallel horizontal rails, a distance d apart and each having a resistance λ per unit length, are joined at one end by a resistance R. A perfectly conducting rod MN of mass m is free to slide along the rails without friction (see the figure). There is a uniform magnetic field of induction B normal to the plane of the paper directed into the paper. A variable force F is applied to the rod MN such that, as the rod moves, a constant current flows through R.
    Find the velocity of the rod and the applied force F as a function of the distance x of the rod from R.
    http://www.zigya.com/application/zrc/images/qvar/PHEN12050806.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The emf induced will be Bvd, where v is the velocity of the rod at that instant.
    The current is i = emf/resistance = Bvd/(R+2λx).
    I know F = FB = idB = B2d2v/(R+λx)
    However, I don't know how to get rid of v in the F expression, and I don't know how to express v in terms of x. So, my aim is to figure out v, because then I'll get F as well.
    I figured since the current is constant, di/dx = 0
    ##\frac{d}{dx} \frac{Bvd}{R+2λx}## = 0

##( \frac{dv}{dx}) (R+2λx) = (v)(2λ)##

## \int \frac{1}{v} \, dv = \int \frac{2λ}{R+2λx} \, dx ##

## v = c(R+2λx) ## where c is an arbitrary constant.

I don't know how to find c. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

You have mass 'm' of the rod. You can replace F by m(dv/dt) and further using chain rule, F=mv(dv/dx).

4. Mar 17, 2016 #3
    This might be a really dumb question but isn't Fnet = ma? And here Fnet = 0 as the variable force F is equal and opposite to the Lorentz force at any instant? I got the answer with this approach though. I just have this stupid question.

5. Mar 17, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

If the net force were 0, the rod would move with a constant velocity and the current would be decreasing since the resistance of the loop is increasing with distance.

6. Mar 17, 2016 #5

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Instead of what I said in #2, I believe your approach in the OP is correct.
    Here's how I think the problem should be..The rod is initially moving with some velocity u at some distance xo from the starting point, which drives a current Bud/(R+2λxo). A variable force is applied to maintain this current. I believe u and xo need to be specified. If xo is assumed to be 0, still u is unknown. If xo and u are known, constant of integration in your solution attempt can be eliminated.

7. Mar 17, 2016 #6
    Wouldn't this be incorrect then? Because net force would be F - FB, I guess. I wrote F (variable external force) = FB (Lorentz force) assuming that they would be equal and opposite. However, I do agree with your conclusion that the current would then be decreasing and we'd have a constant velocity. I'm just not sure how to resolve F = FB dilemma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted