Calculating Magnetic Flux & EMF through a Conducting Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of expressions for the magnetic flux and EMF induced in a conducting loop placed near a long straight wire carrying a current. The use of Ampere's Law is mentioned for calculating the magnetic field, and the equation for the magnetic flux through the loop is given as (mu0Ia/2Pi) * ln((s+a)/a). Part b) involves finding the EMF induced when the loop is pulled away from the wire in a direction orthogonal to the wire at speed v. The conversation also touches on the idea that there should be no change in the magnetic field, and therefore no change in the magnetic flux or EMF, when the loop is moved parallel to the wire at speed v.
student1938
A square conducting loop with sides a lies on a table a distance s from a very long straight wire carryinga current I.

a) Derive an expression for the magnetic flux through the loop.

b) Derive an expression for the EMF induced in the loop if it is pulled away in a direction orthogonal to the wire at speed v.

c) Derive an expression for hte EMF induced in the loop if it is pulled away in a direction parralel to the wire at speed v.

I know that I have to use Ampere' s Law to calculate the magnetic field but am not sure how to do this correctly and how will the field help to calculate the flux?

Physics news on Phys.org
s is the distance between the the side of the square closest to the wire and the wire

I am able to calculate part a) now after having worked on it for a while...Phi = (mu0Ia/2Pi) * ln((s+a)/a)

c) According to me since s does not change there is no change in the magnetic field through the loop when the loop is moved parallel to the wire and so there should be no change in phi and so no dPhi/dt or no EMF...Is this explanation correct?

I need some major help with part b) please someone..I think that I have made a significant effort and now need just help with that part to solve the question...any feedback would be great.

Come on guys...something...pleeease!

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of weber (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area (A) perpendicular to the field. Mathematically, it is represented as Φ = B x A.

3. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor by varying the magnetic flux passing through it. This phenomenon is governed by Faraday's law of induction.

4. How is EMF calculated in a conducting loop?

The EMF (ε) induced in a conducting loop is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. Mathematically, it is represented as ε = -dΦ/dt, where dΦ is the change in magnetic flux and dt is the change in time.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of EMF in a conducting loop?

The magnitude of EMF induced in a conducting loop depends on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, and the rate at which the magnetic field changes. Additionally, the presence of a magnetic core or the material of the loop can also affect the magnitude of EMF.