1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Integration - Enclosed Volume

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the region bounded by the planes [tex]x = 0[/tex] and [tex]z = 0[/tex] and the surfaces [tex]x = -4 y ^ 2 + 3[/tex], and [tex]z = x ^ 3 y[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

The problem is listed in the book in the section Multiple Integration - Application of the Double Integral.

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured I needed to find the bounds on [tex]y[/tex] before I began so I solved for when [tex]z = 0[/tex] which got me [tex]y = 0[/tex] and [itex]x = 0[/tex] which I then plugged into the first surface and found [tex]y = \pm\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]. Well, [tex]z[/tex] was only positive in the first and third quadrants, and I didn't see how a region could be enclosed in the third quadrant to I used [tex]y = 0[/tex] and [tex]y = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex].

I then set up my integrals like so:

[tex]\int_0^{\sqrt{3}/2} \!\!\! \int_0^{3-4y^2} x^3y \,dx \,dy[/tex]

Then integrated:

[tex]\int_0^{\sqrt{3}/2} \frac{1}{4} \left[ x^4y \right]_{x=0}^{x=3-4y^2} \,dy[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{4} \int_0^{\sqrt{3}/2} y\left(3-4y^2\right)^4 \,dy[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{1}{160} \left[ \left(3-4y^2\right)^5 \right]_{y=0}^{y=\sqrt{3}/2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{243}{160}[/tex]

However the back of the book says the answer is [tex]\frac{243}{80}[/tex], and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I got interested in this problem, and went through it is some detail, including building a Mathematica notebook to plot the surfaces and check the integration. I'm convinced that you're right and the book is wrong. Let me know if you learn more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook