Multiple Power Source Circuit Analysis

In summary: You want to write them in matrix form, and solve them, just as you would if you were solving for a circuit current.
aseylys

Homework Statement

Compute all the currents labeled using the mesh loop method.
FZRNPRn.png

Homework Equations

Parallel Resistors
1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2...+1/Ri
Series Resistors
R1+R2...+Ri

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the kvl and kcl analysis, I think I did this wrong because I can't solve for the variables[/B]
v1 - (I1 - I6 - I3)*r1 - (-I6 - I3 + I1)*r6 - (-I3 - I6 + I1)*r3 - v3=0
v2 - (I2 - I5 - I3)*r2 - (-I5 - I3 + I2)*r5 - (-I3 - I5 + I2)*r3 - v3=0
v1 - (I1 + I4 - I2)*r1 - (I4 - I2 + I1)*r4 - (-I2 + I1 + I4)*r2 - v2=0
I4 = I1 - I2
I6 = I3 - I1
I5 = I3 - I1

This is my first time doing this so I'm sure I did this wrong. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are WAY too complex, bringing in terms that don't belong.

Just take the first one, for example, and your inclusion of I1 and I6 as multipliers for R1 when only I3 is flowing through R1

They are all like that.

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, then I'm confused.

So for the left area it goes:
V3-I3*R3-I3*R6-I3*R1-V1=0

So then what happens to I1 and I6?

There is a current designator that shows the current through R3. It is I3. There IS no other current going through that branch (R3)

There is a current designator that shows the current through R6. It is I6. There IS no other current going through that branch (R6)

You are making things more complicated than they need to be.

Ok. Trying to simplify this and knowing that the current through each resistors is ONLY it's corresponding current number.

V3-I3*R3-I6*R6+I1*R1-V1=0
V3-I3*R3-I5*R5+I2*R2-V2=0
V1-I1*R1-I4*R4+I2*R2-V2=0

Am I at least on the right track?

I haven't checked in detail but yes, that's exactly the kind of thing you want to see

Ok thanks for your help!

Glad to help. I love these easy ones :smile:

Mesh loop analysis is based upon mesh currents. Each loop is assigned a "brand new" current of its own which circulates within that loop alone. KVL equations are written for each loop using these new currents and solved.

Fig1.gif

Thus in the above we define mesh currents ##i_1##, ##i_2##, and ##i_3##.

Note that more than one mesh current can flow in a given component (the ones that border two loops). In the above circuit R1 borders loops 1 and 3, so that it conducts ##i_1## and ##i_3## (flowing in opposite directions).

After solving for the mesh currents you can then go back and form any desired current in the circuit by noting which mesh currents contribute to them. For example, in the above circuit ##I_3 = i_1 - i_2##, and ##I_5 = -i_2##.

There's a very good reason for defining and solving for mesh currents in this way. One can write the loop equations in matrix form easily by inspection -- there's a very simple procedure. It's a virtually foolproof way to obtain the circuit equations quickly and without error.

OOPS ... gneill obviously has it right. I was so focused on one thing that I lost track of another. o:)

EDIT: aseyals, in case it's not clear, it's not that the equations you wrote were wrong, and that's what I was focusing on ... helping you get them right, it's that they are right but not helpful. They involve too many variables because, as gneil pointed out, they are not loop current equations.

Last edited:

1. What is a multiple power source circuit analysis?

A multiple power source circuit analysis is a method used to analyze and understand the behavior of a circuit with multiple power sources. It involves studying the flow of current and voltage through the circuit to determine its function and performance.

2. Why is multiple power source circuit analysis important?

Multiple power source circuit analysis is important because many electronic devices and systems use multiple power sources to function. Understanding how these sources interact and impact the circuit's behavior is crucial for designing and troubleshooting complex circuits.

3. What are the key components of a multiple power source circuit?

The key components of a multiple power source circuit include the power sources themselves, resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, and transistors. These components work together to regulate the flow of current and voltage through the circuit.

4. How is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law used in multiple power source circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop circuit is equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop. In multiple power source circuit analysis, this law is used to calculate the voltage drops and sources in each loop of the circuit, which helps in determining the overall behavior of the circuit.

5. What are some common challenges in analyzing multiple power source circuits?

Some common challenges in analyzing multiple power source circuits include identifying the sources and understanding their interactions, dealing with complex circuit configurations, and accounting for non-ideal behavior of the components. It is also important to consider the effects of parasitic elements and external factors such as noise and temperature on the circuit's performance.