Multivariable calculus question

In summary: EquationsIn summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch two curves, y=2x^2 and x^2+2y^2=4, on separate number planes. The first equation is a parabola with a minimum point at (0,0) and the second equation is an ellipse with a radius of 4. The conversation also mentions finding the points of intersection with the axes for both curves. The discussion concludes with a link to a resource on finding the equations of ellipses.
engineer_dave

Homework Statement

Sketch the following curves on separate number planes.

y= 2x^2

x^2 + 2y^2= 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, would the intersection of the curve with the y-axis be at y=2 ( I have attached a diagram of my solution). The minimum point would be at (0,2)?

For the second one, what do we do with the 2 which is the coefficient of y^2. Would the 4 be the radius of the circle.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Curve.JPG
    Curve.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first one. If the curve was intersecting the y-axis, then x = 0 at the point of intersection, and so y = 0 aswell, so it intersects are (0,0). Also, the minimum point of the function is at (0,0).

For the second one, are you sure that the equation you have describes a circle? I would call it an ellipse myself.

oh alrite, but then what happens with the 2 in x^2 for the first equation. Yea, the second one is an ellipse so would 4 be the radius?? Cheers

[tex] y = 2x^2 [/tex]
if x = 0; [tex] y = 2*(0^2) = 0 [/tex]

As for the ellipse. have you tried working out the values for x and y when the other one is set to 0? That will tell u where it crosses each axis.

edit: This might help - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse

Last edited:

What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single variable calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to functions with more than one independent variable.

What are some real-life applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has many real-life applications, including physics, economics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze systems with multiple variables, such as the motion of objects in space, the behavior of financial markets, and the design of 3D objects.

What are the main concepts in multivariable calculus?

The main concepts in multivariable calculus are partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. Partial derivatives are used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding the others constant. Multiple integrals are used to find the volume, mass, or other quantities of a region in space. Vector calculus deals with vector fields and their derivatives, which have applications in physics and engineering.

What are the prerequisites for learning multivariable calculus?

A strong foundation in single variable calculus, including derivatives, integrals, and their applications, is necessary for learning multivariable calculus. Knowledge of linear algebra and basic geometry is also helpful.

How can I study and improve my understanding of multivariable calculus?

Practice and repetition are key to mastering multivariable calculus. It is important to understand the concepts and be able to apply them to different problems. Working through examples and doing practice problems can help improve your understanding. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.