Need an explanation for some observations observed

In summary: This can be explained by the principle of conservation of angular momentum, where the tube is maintaining its rotational motion while also translating due to its rolling motion. This phenomenon can be further explored by conducting more experiments and observing the tube under different conditions. In summary, the observed phenomenon can be explained by the simultaneous rolling and rotating motion of the tube, which is caused by pressing on either end and viewed under a strobe light.
Phoenix1300
First off - Sorry I didn't use the template. I didn't see how I could fit my observations with the template. :(

I have 3 tubes of different lengths. They are both marked X and O on the ends. When I press on the X end or the O end and let it "spin", only the character pressed on is displayed. When viewed on top of a transparent glass, the character that we didn't press on appeared.

When the "spin" was viewed under a strobe light, I could see both the X and the O.

I tried the "spin" many times, and it seemed to me as if the it is both rolling & rotating using the end as its axis.

Can any explanation for this?

Please tell me if you need me to elaborate.

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
My explanation for this phenomenon is that the tube is rolling and rotating simultaneously. When the end is pressed on, it causes the tube to rotate and roll in one direction, which makes the character on the end visible. When the other end is pressed on, the tube rotates and rolls in the opposite direction, making the character visible on the other end. When viewed under a strobe light, both characters are visible because the strobe light is capturing the tube in different positions as it is spinning and rolling.

Based on your observations, it appears that the tubes are exhibiting both rolling and rotating motion when "spun" on their ends. This is supported by the fact that both the X and O characters are displayed when viewed under a strobe light, indicating that the tubes are rotating and the characters are appearing due to the persistence of vision effect. Additionally, the appearance of the character that was not pressed on when viewed on top of a transparent glass suggests that the tubes are also rolling, with the unpressed character being revealed as it moves across the glass. This behavior could be due to the shape and dimensions of the tubes, as well as the force applied when pressing on one end. Further experimentation and analysis would be necessary to fully understand the mechanics behind these observations.

Related to Need an explanation for some observations observed

1. What is the scientific method and how does it relate to explaining observations?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used to answer questions or explain observations through a series of steps, including making an observation, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and forming a conclusion. It is used to provide evidence-based explanations for natural phenomena and to test and refine existing knowledge.

2. How do scientists ensure their explanations for observations are accurate and reliable?

Scientists use a variety of methods and techniques to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their explanations for observations. This can include conducting multiple experiments, using control groups, peer-reviewing research, and replicating results. Additionally, using the scientific method helps to eliminate personal bias and subjectivity in the interpretation of observations.

3. Can observations and data be interpreted differently by different scientists?

Yes, observations and data can be interpreted differently by different scientists. This is because each scientist may have their own perspective, background knowledge, and biases that can influence their interpretation. However, the scientific community encourages open discussion and peer-review to ensure that all interpretations are supported by evidence and are as objective as possible.

4. What is the role of theory in explaining observations?

Theories are explanations that have been extensively tested and supported by evidence and are used to explain a wide range of observations and phenomena. They are based on a large body of evidence and are constantly being refined and updated as new observations and data become available. Theories provide a framework for understanding and predicting natural phenomena and can be used to guide further research and experimentation.

5. How can scientists communicate their explanations for observations to the general public?

Scientists can communicate their explanations for observations to the general public through various means, such as scientific publications, conferences, and popular science media. It is important for scientists to use clear and accessible language and to provide evidence and data to support their explanations. Additionally, engaging in open and respectful dialogue with the public can help improve understanding and acceptance of scientific explanations.