How Do You Calculate Voltages in a Circuit Using Superposition?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of superposition to find the voltage across each current source in a circuit. The poster has already found the partial voltages due to a 2A current source by shutting off the independent voltage source, but is struggling to find the partial voltages due to a 3V voltage source by shutting off the independent current source. They have tried using mesh and nodal analysis, but have not been able to find the correct answer. Another user points out that the figure provided by the poster is incorrect and advises them to read wildman's post.
Iyafrady

Homework Statement

Use superposition to obtain the voltage across each current source.

Homework Equations

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa225/earless846/circuit.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the partial voltages v1 & v2 due to the 2A current source(shutting off the indep. voltage source), but i can't get the partial voltages due to the 3V voltage source(shutting of the indep. current source) can someone help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You open the current source, not shunt it. Shunt the voltage source.

I already solved the partial voltages due to the 2A sourcei did that by shutting off the voltage source!I only need to find the other partial voltages due to the 3V source by shutting off the 2A source.What I am asking is how to find V1 and V2 if the circuit looked like this:

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa225/earless846/circuit-1.jpg

Ive tried mesh and nodal analysis but i keep getting the wrong answer.

Iyafrady said:
I already solved the partial voltages due to the 2A sourcei did that by shutting off the voltage source!I only need to find the other partial voltages due to the 3V source by shutting off the 2A source.What I am asking is how to find V1 and V2 if the circuit looked like this:

[PLAIN][PLAIN]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa225/earless846/circuit-1.jpg

Ive tried mesh and nodal analysis but i keep getting the wrong answer.

Your figure is wrong. Read wildman's post.

1. What is superposition in physics?

Superposition is a fundamental concept in physics that states that when two or more waves or particles interact, the resulting wave or particle is the sum of the individual waves or particles.

2. How does superposition relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows for phenomena such as quantum entanglement and the famous Schrödinger's cat thought experiment.

3. Can superposition occur in classical physics?

Yes, superposition can occur in classical physics as well. For example, in wave mechanics, the concept of superposition is used to explain interference patterns in waves.

4. How is superposition used in practical applications?

Superposition is used in many practical applications, such as in MRI machines, where it allows for detailed imaging of the body's tissues. It is also used in quantum computing, where the ability to exist in multiple states simultaneously allows for more efficient processing.

5. What is the difference between superposition and entanglement?

Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously, whereas entanglement refers to the correlation between the states of two or more particles. Superposition is a necessary condition for entanglement to occur.