Need help solving electric forces and fields

In summary, the problems discussed in this conversation include determining the charge on two small metal spheres, calculating the spring constant for a spring with a charged sphere attached, finding the magnitude and direction of the electric field between two point charges, and finding the magnitude of the electric field at a specific point. The equations used for these problems include Coulumb's law and F = -kx. The solutions include calculating the charge using F = k((q1^2)/r^2), finding the electric field for each particle using E=kq/r2, and using the horizontal and vertical components to determine the overall electric field.
Anthem26
These are the problems I have left to do, but I have no clue as to how to solve them.

Homework Statement

a. Two small metal spheres are 23.0 cm apart. The spheres have equal amounts of negative charge and repel each other with a force of 0.040 N. What is the charge on each sphere?

b.A tiny sphere with a charge of q = +8.2 µC is attached to a spring. Two other tiny charged spheres, each with a charge of -4.0 µC, are placed in the positions shown in the figure, in which b = 4.2 cm. The spring stretches 5.0 cm from its previous equilibrium position toward the two spheres. Calculate the spring constant. (diagram: http://imgur.com/FKcPp.gif )

c.What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field midway between two point charges, -13 µC and +15 µC, that are 7.3 cm apart?

d.Two equal charges (Q = +0.95 nC) are situated at the diagonal corners A and B of a square of side x = 1.0 m as shown in the diagram. What is the magnitude of the electric field at point D? (diagram: http://imgur.com/eervv.gif )

Homework Equations

For all problems, I used Coulumb's law: F = k|q1||q2|/r^2
k=8.99*10^9 Nm^2/C^2
1 nC = 10^-9 C

The Attempt at a Solution

a. equation setup: .04 N = 8.99*10^9 * (q1)(q2)/(.23m)^2
I got 1.2x10^-6 for q1 & q2 as my answer, but that's not correct. Was my setup wrong or was it just a simple alegbraic error?

b. I honesty have no clue how to solve this problem. Hopefully someone could give me a little insight on how to setup this problem.

c. This problem seemed easy enough and straight forward, but after several attempts I still get the wrong answer. Here's my equation setup: F = 8.99*10^9 * (-1.3*10^-3)(1.5*10^-8)/(.073m)^2 I got 3.3*10^-4 but apparently that's not the correct answer.

d. I honestly don't know have to solve this one either. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Anthem26 said:
a. equation setup: .04 N = 8.99*10^9 * (q1)(q2)/(.23m)^2
I got 1.2x10^-6 for q1 & q2 as my answer, but that's not correct. Was my setup wrong or was it just a simple alegbraic error?

It's a simple algebraic error. Recalculate, and remember that q is negative.

b. I honesty have no clue how to solve this problem. Hopefully someone could give me a little insight on how to setup this problem.

It's asking for the spring constant, so the equation F=-kx should pop into mind. Since k=-F/x, what's F? What's x?

c. This problem seemed easy enough and straight forward, but after several attempts I still get the wrong answer. Here's my equation setup: F = 8.99*10^9 * (-1.3*10^-3)(1.5*10^-8)/(.073m)^2 I got 3.3*10^-4 but apparently that's not the correct answer.

You've found the force between the particles, but the question is asking for the electric field. E=kq/r2 for each particle.

d. I honestly don't know have to solve this one either. :(

Can you find the horizontal component of the electric field? The vertical component? (Hint: Use E=kq/r2.)

ok, i tried to work out a and b, but still no luck. here's my work:

(a) Given: r=.23m, q1=q2, f=.04N

Equations needed:F=k((q1q2)/r^2), where k is approx 8.9910^9 Nm^2/C^2

Solution: Since q1=q2, we can substitute q2 for q1 in the equation

F=k((q1q1)/r^2)

F=k*((q1^2)/r^2)

F/k=(q1^2)/r^2

r^2*(F/k)=(q1^2)

q1=q2=sqrt(r^2*(F/k))

plug in the given values...sqrt(.23^2(.04/(8.9910^9)))

i get approx -4.85*10^-7 C

*EDIT ok i managed to get this right, I just had to rewrite 4.85*10^7 to .000000485
(b) Using the E=kq/r2 provided. I plugged in:
E1 = 8.99*10^9 * (13*10^-6)/(.073m)^2
= 2.2*10^7

E2 = 8.99*10^9 * (15*10^-6)/(.073m)^2
= 2.5*10^7

E = 2.5*10^7 - 2.2*10^7 = 3*10^6

What did I do wrong?

Last edited:

1. What are electric forces and fields?

Electric forces and fields are fundamental concepts in physics. Electric forces are the attractive or repulsive forces that exist between two electrically charged objects. Electric fields are the regions of space around an electrically charged object where the electric force can be felt.

2. How do I calculate electric forces?

The magnitude of the electric force between two charged objects can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between electric force and gravitational force?

The main difference between electric force and gravitational force is that electric force only exists between charged objects, while gravitational force exists between any two objects with mass. Additionally, electric force can be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.

4. How do I calculate electric fields?

The electric field at a point is equal to the force per unit charge at that point. It can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the electric force, and q is the charge at the point.

5. How are electric forces and fields related?

Electric fields are created by electric charges and exert forces on other charges within the field. The direction of the electric field is the same as the direction of the electric force that would be exerted on a positive test charge placed at that point in the field.