Master Derivatives with Ease | Solving cos(x-y) = (x)(invcot 2x) + 6^(3x^2 + 2x)

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for y in the equation cos(x-y) = (x)(invcot 2x) + 6^(3x^2 + 2x). The suggestion is made to differentiate the equation implicitly and solve for y'.
mesa
Gold Member

Homework Statement

cos(x-y) = (x)(invcot 2x) + 6^(3x^2 + 2x)

Homework Equations

I'm not sure how to get y to one side, otherwise I think I could handle the derivation

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have
(cos x)(cos y) + (sin x)(sin y) = (x)(invcot 2x) + 6^(3x^2 + 2x)
I know, not much :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mesa said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I'm not sure how to get y to one side, otherwise I think I could handle the derivation

So far I have

You could just differentiate it implicitly. Otherwise take the inverse cosine of the original equation as the first step. There will certainly be some domain issues since the left side is between -1 and 1, limiting x values on the right.

mesa said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So far I have
There is no good reason to "reduce" cos(x- y) nor to solve for y. The (partial) derivative of cos(x- y), with respect to x, is -sin(x- y) and the (partial) derivative with respect to y is sin(x- y).
The derivative, with respect to x, of the left side is -sin(x-y)+ sin(x-y)y'. Now differentiate the right side, set those equal, and solve for y'. (IF finding the derivative of y with respect to x is the problem! In the "Problem Statement" section, you give an equation but NO "problem". What, exactly, are you supposed to do with that equation?)

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much a function is changing, or its slope, at a particular point. It is commonly used in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and approximation.

Why is it important to find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function helps us understand the behavior of the function at any given point. It allows us to determine the rate of change, which is important in many real-world applications such as physics, economics, and engineering. Additionally, the derivative is used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, which is crucial in optimization problems.

What is the process of finding a derivative?

The process of finding a derivative is called differentiation. It involves using various rules and formulas to find the derivative of a function. These rules include the power rule, product rule, chain rule, and quotient rule. The steps for finding a derivative include identifying the function, applying the appropriate rule, and simplifying the resulting expression.

When do we use the chain rule to find a derivative?

The chain rule is used when the function is composed of two or more functions. It allows us to find the derivative of the outer function while taking into account the derivative of the inner function. In other words, it helps us find the derivative of a function within a function.

Can derivatives be negative?

Yes, derivatives can be negative. A negative derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at a particular point. This is because the derivative represents the slope of the function, and a negative slope means the function is decreasing. However, a negative derivative does not necessarily mean that the function is always decreasing, as it can change from positive to negative or vice versa at different points.