Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need opinions for CAD project

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    I have a cad project where i have to make an assembly of a mechanical device with 5-8 parts and I also have to make a modification to the device. I was thinking maybe a brake caliper but I am just curious what some of you think would be a good device to model?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What were some of the previous projects in the class for this assignment?

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2D or 3D ?

5. Mar 7, 2016 #4
    This is our final project for the class. We do simple modeling for homework like bearing blocks and gaskets but this is the first assembly.

6. Mar 7, 2016 #5
    It is a 3d project

7. Mar 7, 2016 #6

berkeman

I guess I worded my question poorly. What were some of the previous final projects in previous classes?

8. Mar 7, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  9. Mar 7, 2016 #8
    Not really sure. I remember my teacher saying a previous student did a birdhouse. So when I say it has to be a mechanical part im not saying thats a requirement, its just that I would rather model a mechanical part since im going for a bsme. The only requirements are it has to be 5-8 parts and i have to modify the design in some way.

10. Mar 7, 2016 #9
    yea something similar to that. something smaller with less parts would be ideal

11. Mar 7, 2016 #10

berkeman

Why less parts? What year are you in school?

Personally, I'd try to get creative. Like, do the x-y-z movement mechanism for a 3-D printer (which could be used to fabricate the parts...). :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted