Need opinions for CAD project

• Thread starter nate9519
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a cad project where i have to make an assembly of a mechanical device with 5-8 parts and I also have to make a modification to the device. I was thinking maybe a brake caliper but I am just curious what some of you think would be a good device to model?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I have a cad project where i have to make an assembly of a mechanical device with 5-8 parts and I also have to make a modification to the device. I was thinking maybe a brake caliper but I am just curious what some of you think would be a good device to model?
What were some of the previous projects in the class for this assignment?

Nidum
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2D or 3D ?

What were some of the previous projects in the class for this assignment?
This is our final project for the class. We do simple modeling for homework like bearing blocks and gaskets but this is the first assembly.

2D or 3D ?
It is a 3d project

berkeman
Mentor
This is our final project for the class. We do simple modeling for homework like bearing blocks and gaskets but this is the first assembly.
I guess I worded my question poorly. What were some of the previous final projects in previous classes?

I guess I worded my question poorly. What were some of the previous final projects in previous classes?
Not really sure. I remember my teacher saying a previous student did a birdhouse. So when I say it has to be a mechanical part im not saying thats a requirement, its just that I would rather model a mechanical part since im going for a bsme. The only requirements are it has to be 5-8 parts and i have to modify the design in some way.

berkeman
Mentor
yea something similar to that. something smaller with less parts would be ideal
Why less parts? What year are you in school?

Personally, I'd try to get creative. Like, do the x-y-z movement mechanism for a 3-D printer (which could be used to fabricate the parts...). :smile: