Exploring Creative CAD Ideas: From Brake Calipers to 3D Printers

In summary, some previous students have modeled a birdhouse, while others have gone for something more creative.
nate9519
I have a cad project where i have to make an assembly of a mechanical device with 5-8 parts and I also have to make a modification to the device. I was thinking maybe a brake caliper but I am just curious what some of you think would be a good device to model?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nate9519 said:
I have a cad project where i have to make an assembly of a mechanical device with 5-8 parts and I also have to make a modification to the device. I was thinking maybe a brake caliper but I am just curious what some of you think would be a good device to model?
What were some of the previous projects in the class for this assignment?

2D or 3D ?

berkeman said:
What were some of the previous projects in the class for this assignment?
This is our final project for the class. We do simple modeling for homework like bearing blocks and gaskets but this is the first assembly.

Nidum said:
2D or 3D ?
It is a 3d project

nate9519 said:
This is our final project for the class. We do simple modeling for homework like bearing blocks and gaskets but this is the first assembly.
I guess I worded my question poorly. What were some of the previous final projects in previous classes?

berkeman said:
I guess I worded my question poorly. What were some of the previous final projects in previous classes?
Not really sure. I remember my teacher saying a previous student did a birdhouse. So when I say it has to be a mechanical part I am not saying that's a requirement, its just that I would rather model a mechanical part since I am going for a bsme. The only requirements are it has to be 5-8 parts and i have to modify the design in some way.

Nidum said:
yea something similar to that. something smaller with less parts would be ideal

nate9519 said:
yea something similar to that. something smaller with less parts would be ideal
Why less parts? What year are you in school?

Personally, I'd try to get creative. Like, do the x-y-z movement mechanism for a 3-D printer (which could be used to fabricate the parts...). :smile:

What is the purpose of collecting opinions for a CAD project?

The purpose of collecting opinions for a CAD (Computer-Aided Design) project is to gather feedback and input from various individuals who have expertise or experience in the field. This can help improve the design and functionality of the project and ensure that it meets the needs and expectations of the target audience.

Who should be consulted for opinions on a CAD project?

It is important to consult with a diverse group of individuals for opinions on a CAD project. This can include other scientists, engineers, designers, and potential end-users. It is also beneficial to gather opinions from both experts in the field and individuals who may have a fresh perspective.

How can opinions be collected for a CAD project?

There are various methods for collecting opinions for a CAD project. These can include surveys, focus groups, interviews, and user testing. It is also important to consider using technology such as virtual reality or 3D printing to allow individuals to interact with the CAD project and provide feedback.

What should be considered when evaluating opinions for a CAD project?

When evaluating opinions for a CAD project, it is important to consider the source of the opinions, the expertise of the individuals providing them, and the consistency of the feedback. It is also important to take into account any common themes or patterns that arise from the opinions and how they align with the project's goals and objectives.

How can opinions be effectively incorporated into a CAD project?

To effectively incorporate opinions into a CAD project, it is important to carefully analyze and prioritize the feedback. This can involve making necessary revisions to the design or functionality of the project. It is also important to communicate any changes or decisions made based on the opinions to the individuals who provided them.