How Do You Calculate the Solubility of AgBrO3 from Given Data?

In summary, the solubility product constant for AgBrO3 can be calculated using the formula K(s) = ([A(+)]^x) * ([B(-)]^y), where [A(+)] and [B(-)] are the concentrations of the ions A(+) and B(-), respectively. To find these concentrations, you can use the information given about the solubility of AgBrO3 (0.196g/100mL) and the molecular weight of silver bromate (235.77 g/mol). By converting the mass dissolved into moles, you can determine the concentration of both silver and bromate ions, which are both 0.00831 moles/L. Plugging these values into
lo2
I have this salt [tex]AgBrO_{3}[/tex] which has got the solubility of [tex]\frac{0,196g}{100mL}[/tex]. From the following information I should be able to calculate Solubility for [tex]AgBrO_{3}[/tex].

I really cannot see how? So please help me.

It is really an Urgent matter so a quick replay would be most appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
unless I am completely misreading it I think you already have your answer. Maybe you are expecting different units? [g/L, mol/L, etc]

dmoravec said:
unless I am completely misreading it I think you already have your answer. Maybe you are expecting different units? [g/L, mol/L, etc]

No I want to find the solubility product constant...

well the solubilty constant is much like any other equilibrium constant.

A reaction of the form

AB{s} -> xA(+){aq} + yB(-){aq} where the x and y are balanced coefficients, and the species A(+) and B(-) are the charged ions ( not necessarily of charge 1)

Then the solubility constant ( call it K(s)) is

K(s) = ([A(+)]^x) * ([B(-)]^y)

where [A(+)] and [B(-)] are the concentrations of species A and B. Do you have the reaction formula for the dissociation of Silver Bromate?

dmoravec said:
well the solubilty constant is much like any other equilibrium constant.

A reaction of the form

AB{s} -> xA(+){aq} + yB(-){aq} where the x and y are balanced coefficients, and the species A(+) and B(-) are the charged ions ( not necessarily of charge 1)

Then the solubility constant ( call it K(s)) is

K(s) = ([A(+)]^x) * ([B(-)]^y)

where [A(+)] and [B(-)] are the concentrations of species A and B. Do you have the reaction formula for the dissociation of Silver Bromate?

I know that. That is not the problem.

My problem is how to find the Solubilty product constant, from that one and only piece of information I have got, which is that the solubility for [tex]AgBrO_{3}[/tex] is [tex]\frac{0,196g}{100mL}[/tex]. That is the problem!

remember, you can use the molecular weight of silver bromate (235.77 g/mol) to figure out the amount of moles/L of both the silver and bromate ions that were dissolved. From there these values can be plugged in as A(+) and B(-) with x and y both being 1.

I do not quite think that I understand.

ok
Silver Bromate dissocates into and silver ion and bromate ion as follows:

AgBrO(3) -> Ag(+) + BrO3(-).

By the formula for solubility constants the constant for this reaction would be

K(s) = [Ag(+)]*[BrO3(-)].
So all we need to get is the concentration (in moles/L) of these ions. You have the information of g/mL. Specifically 0.196 g/mL. To convert that to an equivalent moles/L first convert the amount of mass dissolved (0.196g) into moles.

0.196 g / 235.77 g/mol = 0.000831 moles.
Now this is in 100 mL or 0.1 L.
Therefore the amount of moles dissolved / liter is
0.000831 moles / 0.1 L = 0.00831 moles/L (commonly referred to as M)

From the above equation we know that for each mole of silver bromate dissolved there is exactly 1 mole of silver AND 1 mole of bromate. Therefore the concentration of silver ([Ag(+)]) is 0.00831 moles/L and likewise the concentration of bromate ions is the same.

Therefore the solubility constant is:
0.00831 * 0.00831 = Answer

a different, but similar, example can be seen here:
http://faculty.kutztown.edu/vitz/limsport/LabManual/KSPWeb/KSP.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow some explanation!

I owe you a favour just request and I will help you out if I can.

1. What are some common types of chemistry calculations?

Some common types of chemistry calculations include stoichiometry, molarity, percent composition, and gas laws.

2. How do I solve a stoichiometry problem?

To solve a stoichiometry problem, you first need to balance the chemical equation and determine the moles of the given substance. Then, use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to convert to moles of the desired substance. Finally, convert the moles to the desired units using the appropriate molar mass or volume.

3. What is molarity and how do I calculate it?

Molarity is a measure of the concentration of a solution, expressed as the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. To calculate molarity, divide the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

4. How do I convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit?

To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit, use the formula F = (9/5)C + 32. To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, use the formula C = (5/9)(F-32).

5. What are the steps for solving a gas law problem?

The steps for solving a gas law problem are: 1) identify the given variables and the desired variable, 2) choose the appropriate gas law (Boyle's, Charles's, or Avogadro's), 3) rearrange the equation to solve for the desired variable, 4) substitute the given values and solve for the desired variable.