1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help on some Chemistry calculations

1. Aug 23, 2006 #1

lo2

I have this salt [tex]AgBrO_{3}[/tex] which has got the solubility of [tex]\frac{0,196g}{100mL}[/tex]. From the following information I should be able to calculate Solubility for [tex]AgBrO_{3}[/tex].

I really cannot see how? So please help me.

It is really an Urgent matter so a quick replay would be most appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2
    unless I am completely misreading it I think you already have your answer. Maybe you are expecting different units? [g/L, mol/L, etc]

4. Aug 23, 2006 #3

lo2

No I want to find the solubility product constant...

5. Aug 23, 2006 #4
    well the solubilty constant is much like any other equilibrium constant.

A reaction of the form

AB{s} -> xA(+){aq} + yB(-){aq} where the x and y are balanced coefficients, and the species A(+) and B(-) are the charged ions ( not necessarily of charge 1)

Then the solubility constant ( call it K(s)) is

K(s) = ([A(+)]^x) * ([B(-)]^y)

where [A(+)] and [B(-)] are the concentrations of species A and B. Do you have the reaction formula for the dissociation of Silver Bromate?

6. Aug 23, 2006 #5

lo2

I know that. That is not the problem.

My problem is how to find the Solubilty product constant, from that one and only piece of information I have got, which is that the solubility for [tex]AgBrO_{3}[/tex] is [tex]\frac{0,196g}{100mL}[/tex]. That is the problem!

7. Aug 23, 2006 #6
    remember, you can use the molecular weight of silver bromate (235.77 g/mol) to figure out the amount of moles/L of both the silver and bromate ions that were dissolved. From there these values can be plugged in as A(+) and B(-) with x and y both being 1.

8. Aug 23, 2006 #7

lo2

I do not quite think that I understand.

9. Aug 23, 2006 #8
    ok
    Silver Bromate dissocates into and silver ion and bromate ion as follows:

AgBrO(3) -> Ag(+) + BrO3(-).

By the formula for solubility constants the constant for this reaction would be

K(s) = [Ag(+)]*[BrO3(-)].
    So all we need to get is the concentration (in moles/L) of these ions. You have the information of g/mL. Specifically 0.196 g/mL. To convert that to an equivalent moles/L first convert the amount of mass dissolved (0.196g) into moles.

0.196 g / 235.77 g/mol = 0.000831 moles.
    Now this is in 100 mL or 0.1 L.
    Therefore the amount of moles dissolved / liter is
    0.000831 moles / 0.1 L = 0.00831 moles/L (commonly refered to as M)

From the above equation we know that for each mole of silver bromate dissolved there is exactly 1 mole of silver AND 1 mole of bromate. Therefore the concentration of silver ([Ag(+)]) is 0.00831 moles/L and likewise the concentration of bromate ions is the same.

Therefore the solubility constant is:
    0.00831 * 0.00831 = Answer

a different, but similar, example can be seen here:
    http://faculty.kutztown.edu/vitz/limsport/LabManual/KSPWeb/KSP.htm

10. Aug 23, 2006 #9

lo2

Wow some explanation!

I owe you a favour just request and I will help you out if I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?