Need to find dense liquid at room temperature

In summary, the conversation is about finding or making a really dense liquid with a density of 4000 kg per cubic meter at room temperature or lower, which can be easily made and used in large volumes. The options of using mercury, iodine, and cesium formate are discussed, with cesium formate being the most expensive option. Alternatives such as sodium formate and barite are also mentioned, but they may not have the desired density. The use of indium-gallium eutectic is suggested as a possible solution, but it is also expensive. Overall, finding a cheap and easily made liquid with a density of 4000 kg per cubic meter seems to be a difficult task.
gloo
I want to know how easy it is to find or make a really dense liquid...perhaps 4000 kg per cubic meter at room temperature or lower. I need it to be easily made so that it can fill huge a huge volume like thousands of cubic meters. Is this even possible? Mercury is too dangerous and scarce; many others listed seem extremely toxic. How about Iodine? Is it easy to make and is it safe in containers?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Iodine is a metal at room temperature.

How hard is it to make Iodine in large large quantities...like if I wanted to make like a ship load worth? I am working on an idea that requires a heavy liquid that could weigh down something but is liquid enough to cycle up and down like a liquid (i.e. water). Is it possible to make a liquid compound that is 2000 to 4000 kg per cubic meter that is cheap, safe, easily made?

The only thing I can think of is a solution of Cesium formate. It is used in oil industry due to its high density >2kg/l.
http://www.rockwoodlithium.com/pdf/423557.pdf

Anything more dense is highly toxic, corrosive and more expensive.

DrDu said:
The only thing I can think of is a solution of Cesium formate. It is used in oil industry due to its high density >2kg/l.

I read that Cesium formate is really expsensive...like 4000 bucks per barrel? So making a ship load would cost billions I am assuming? Is it easily made?

DrDu said:

How about Sodium Formate? It says that the density is like 1920kg per cubic meter. Is that easy to make and can you comment on the cost of that versus Cesium Formate?

The density of sodium formate solution is only 1.38

Last edited:
Potassium Formate Brine 1.57, but dirt cheap in comparison with Cesium formate.

Last edited:
gloo said:
I want to know how easy it is to find or make a really dense liquid...perhaps 4000 kg per cubic meter at room temperature or lower. I need it to be easily made so that it can fill huge a huge volume like thousands of cubic meters. Is this even possible? Mercury is too dangerous and scarce; many others listed seem extremely toxic. How about Iodine? Is it easy to make and is it safe in containers?

Thanks
Making a ship load of anything is going to be expensive.

The densest drilling fluid which is used commonly and is relatively non-toxic is barite, or barium sulfate (BaSO4). Barite is typically added to water or diesel fuel to form a liquid mixture known as drilling mud. Since barite is not particularly soluble in water or oil, the drilling mud mixture must be constantly agitated to keep the barite from separating from the rest of the liquid.

Liquid drilling mud is typically prepared and shipped at a max. specific gravity of 2.2, although mixtures with lower S.G. have been used. In any event, the tanks which are used to store this material during shipment are specially reinforced to handle the higher S.G.

Just for giggles, why do you need a ship load of dense liquid? And, by the way, because this liquid will be so dense (S.G. = 4.0), you won't be able to use just any old ship to transport it. It will require a ship with cargo tanks which have highly reinforced structure to keep from collapsing when filled with this dense product.

What money you save in purchasing materials to make this fluid will likely be consumed in outfitting a special vessel to carry it.

1. What is considered a "dense liquid" at room temperature?

A dense liquid at room temperature is a liquid that has a higher density compared to other liquids at the same temperature. This means that the molecules in the liquid are more tightly packed, resulting in a heavier weight per unit volume.

2. Why is it important to find dense liquids at room temperature?

Finding dense liquids at room temperature is important in various scientific and industrial applications. These liquids can be used as solvents, lubricants, and coolants due to their high density and ability to dissolve other substances. They can also be used in density gradient centrifugation for separating different components of a solution.

3. How can I determine the density of a liquid at room temperature?

The density of a liquid at room temperature can be determined by measuring its mass and volume. The mass can be measured using a balance, while the volume can be measured using a graduated cylinder or a pipette. The density is then calculated by dividing the mass by the volume.

4. What are some examples of dense liquids at room temperature?

Some examples of dense liquids at room temperature include mercury, bromine, sulfuric acid, and glycerol. These liquids have a density higher than water, which has a density of 1 gram per cubic centimeter at room temperature.

5. Can the density of a liquid change at different temperatures?

Yes, the density of a liquid can change at different temperatures. This is because the volume of a liquid can be affected by temperature, causing the density to change. For example, when a liquid is heated, its molecules gain energy and move faster, causing them to spread out and increase the volume of the liquid. This results in a decrease in density. On the other hand, when a liquid is cooled, the molecules slow down and become more tightly packed, resulting in a decrease in volume and an increase in density.