Net current in a solenoid or torroid

In summary, the concept of multiplying the current in each loop by the total number of loops in a toroid or solenoid may seem confusing. This is done because the net current in these structures is considered to be 'n.i' instead of just 'i', as in the case of a straight conducting wire. This is because current is defined as the amount of charge flowing across a surface in a unit time, and in some cases, the surface of interest may be crossed by multiple wires each carrying a current of 'I'. Therefore, the net current is equal to the number of wires multiplied by the individual current in each wire.
paulina
The notion of multiplying the current in each loop in a toroid or solenoid with the total number of loops in order to find out the net current in the toroid or solenoid is appearing a bit confusing.
Why do we do this when we know the same current is flowing through each loop (just like water flowing in a pipe)?
When the wire is a straight conducting wire we take the net current as ' i ' but in toroid or solenoid it is
' n.i ' where n is the number of turns of the coil. What is the cause for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Current is the amount of charge that flows across a defined surface in a unit time. Generally, you take the surface to be the cross section of the wire, but you can choose a different surfsce. Sometimes, the surface of interest is one crossed by n wires each carrying a current of I. The charge crossing such a surface in a unit time is nI, so the current through that surface is n times the current through the wire.

DaleSpam said:
thanks for the explanation...

1. What is net current in a solenoid or toroid?

Net current in a solenoid or toroid refers to the total amount of electric current flowing through the entire length of the coil. It is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field generated by the coil.

2. How is net current calculated in a solenoid or toroid?

Net current is calculated by multiplying the number of turns in the coil by the current flowing through each turn. In a solenoid, this can be represented by the equation I = N x I, where I is the net current, N is the number of turns, and I is the current flowing through each turn.

3. What factors affect the net current in a solenoid or toroid?

The net current in a solenoid or toroid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through each turn, and the permeability of the material inside the coil. It is also influenced by the frequency and voltage of the power supply.

4. How does net current affect the magnetic field in a solenoid or toroid?

The net current in a solenoid or toroid is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field generated. This means that a higher net current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while a lower net current will result in a weaker magnetic field.

5. What is the difference between net current in a solenoid and a toroid?

The main difference between net current in a solenoid and a toroid is the shape of the coil. A solenoid is a long, straight coil, while a toroid is a coil in the shape of a donut. This difference can affect the distribution of the magnetic field and the calculations for net current.