Net Ionic Equations verification

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the conversation was about combining magnesium nitrate and sodium hydroxide in aqueous solutions. The formula, total ionic, and net ionic equations were provided, with the resulting precipitate being Mg(OH)2. The question was about verifying the accuracy of the equations and determining if a precipitate would form. The participants also discussed the solubility of hydroxide and consulted a manual for clarification. In the end, it was determined that the precipitate would be magnesium hydroxide.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok I need some verification on this so i don't go nuts. These are all in aqueous solutions

Combine... bum bum bummmm

Magnesium nitrate and sodium hydroxide

Formula equation: Mg(NO3)2 + 2NaOH ---> 2NaNO3 + Mg(OH)2

Total Ionic eq: Mg + 2NO3 + 2Na + 2OH ---> 2Na + 2NO3 + Mg(OH)2

Net Ionic eq: Mg + 2OH ---> Mg(OH)2

Sorry, I didn't put the charges (or whatever they are called lol) but i don't know how to do superscripts.

Also, what I assume this means is that when you combine the two aqueous solutions, you will get a precipitate Mg(OH)2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the question here..

need to verify that I got the equations correct.

Your ionic equatiosn are fine, your last sentence doesn't make sense.

If you combine the two, won't the precipitate be Mg(OH)2

As far as I remember the hydroxide molecule is soluble in water.

Doesn't look like it according to my manual

Your manual knows better than me then.
If there's a precipitate, its the magnesium hydroxide.

Man i hate this chemistry crap!

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the relevant species and their charges involved in a chemical reaction. It excludes the spectator ions, which are present in the reaction but do not participate in the actual chemical change.

2. How do you verify a net ionic equation?

To verify a net ionic equation, you need to first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, you need to identify the spectator ions and remove them from the equation. Finally, you are left with the net ionic equation, which shows only the species that are directly involved in the reaction.

3. Why is it important to verify a net ionic equation?

Verifying a net ionic equation is important because it allows us to focus on the essential components of a chemical reaction and understand the actual chemical change that is taking place. It also helps to determine the limiting reagent and calculate the theoretical yield of a reaction.

4. What are some common mistakes when verifying net ionic equations?

One common mistake is failing to balance the equation correctly, which can lead to incorrect identification of spectator ions. Another mistake is not recognizing polyatomic ions as units and incorrectly removing them from the equation. It is also important to double-check the charges of the ions involved to ensure they are balanced.

5. Can net ionic equations be used for all types of reactions?

No, net ionic equations are only appropriate for reactions that occur in aqueous solutions. They cannot be used for reactions that take place in the gas phase or involve solids, as these do not form ions in solution. Additionally, net ionic equations are not useful for redox reactions, as they involve transfer of electrons rather than ions.