Newton's 2nd Law on light fixture

In summary, the problem involves a lightweight string of length 60.0 cm attached to the ceiling at points separated by distance D. Three objects of equal mass are hung from the string, dividing it into four equal segments of length L. With an angle of 40°, the objective is to find the measure of angle phi and the distance D. Using the equations for the sum of y forces on the knots, it is determined that the tensions at each tie point are equal and cancel out the horizontal components. This leads to the conclusion that the right-hand part is a mirror image of the left-hand part, and therefore the tensions are the same in the bottom pieces of the string.
jburt

Homework Statement

A lightweight string of length 60.0 cm is attached to the ceiling at points separated by distance D, as shown on the diagram in my attachment. Three objects of equal mass are hung from the string, separating the string into four equal segments of lenth L. If θ=40°
, find the measure of angle phi and the distance D.

Homework Equations

please see attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

please see attachment

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
I also want to say, I've attempted to use only the equations for the sum of y forces on the knots, since I've ruled the masses out as irrelevant, so those free body diagrams are also irrelevant. I subbed the value of T from the middle knot sumFy equation into the T for the 1st knot's sumFy equation and solved for phi. . . wrong answer resulted

L is the length of the pieces of the string, not the tension in them. The tensions are not the same in the different pieces at both sides of a knot.

ehild

I'd say that, at each tie point, the two horizontal components of the tensions cancel.

Thanks,

So, on my free body diagram on the 1st knot from the left, say I label the mg T, as T1, then T2 (upper left) and T3 (upper right), then for the middle knot, the same T1 from the mg (since equal mass=equal weight), but the tensions on either sides are BOTH T3 (equal, but opposite, right? due to same L)?? That's what I'm going to attempt.

It will be all right. The right-hand part is mirror image of the left-hand part because of the equal lengths and masses, therefore the tensions are the same in the bottom pieces of the string.

ehildehild

FAQ: Newton's 2nd Law on light fixture

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law on light fixtures?

Newton's 2nd Law on light fixtures states that the force required to accelerate an object in a specific direction is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration it experiences in that direction.

2. How does Newton's 2nd Law apply to light fixtures?

In the case of light fixtures, the mass of the fixture and the acceleration due to gravity are the main factors that determine the force needed to hold the fixture in place. If the fixture is too heavy or the acceleration due to gravity is too high, a stronger force will be required to keep the fixture stable.

3. Can Newton's 2nd Law be used to calculate the force needed to hold a light fixture in place?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be used to calculate the force needed to hold a light fixture in place. The equation F=ma (force = mass x acceleration) can be applied, where the mass is the weight of the fixture and the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the force needed to hold a light fixture in place?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force needed to hold a light fixture in place. These include the design and structure of the fixture, the materials used, and external forces such as wind or vibrations.

5. How is Newton's 2nd Law on light fixtures relevant in real-world applications?

Newton's 2nd Law on light fixtures is relevant in real-world applications as it helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate force needed to hold a light fixture in place, ensuring its stability and safety. This law also applies to other objects and structures, making it an important concept in various fields of science and engineering.