Newton's law of Motion problem

In summary: What do you think is the possible solution to this?In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the left ventricle of the heart, which pumps blood into the aorta. The left ventricular contraction lasts 0.20 seconds, during which time a mass of 88 grams of blood is accelerated from rest to a speed of about 4.5 m/s. The known values are the final velocity of 4.5 m/s, the initial velocity of 0 m/s, the mass of 88 grams or 0.088 kg, and the time of 0.20 seconds. The student's attempt at a solution involves using the equations a = (vf - vi)/t and F = ma, resulting in an
ryant14

Homework Statement

The lower chamber of the heart, (the left ventricle) pumps blood into aorta. The left ventricular contraction lasts 0.20 seconds, during which time a mass of 88 grams of blood is accelerated from rest to a speed of about 4.5 m/s. Find the acceleration & Force.

known:
V final - 4.5 m/s
V initial - 0 m/s
Mass - 88 grams or 0.088 kg
Time it takes for contraction - 0.20 s

Homework Equations

a = (vf - vi)/t
Summation of horiontal force (F) = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a = (4.5 m/s - 0 m/s) / 0.20
= 22.5 m/s^2

F= ma
= (0.088kg)(22.5 m/s^2)

These were my answers but my professor marked it wrong. according to him the acceleration should not exceed than 4.5 m/s^2 and the Force must not be greater than 1 Newton.

are my interpretations to this problem wrong?

Is it correct that I've used 0.20 seconds as a time to get the acceleration?

I am confused about this, "The left ventricular contraction lasts 0.20 seconds, during which time a mass of 88 grams of blood is accelerated from rest to a speed of about 4.5 m/s."

What does this mean? Is it right that the 88 g of blood obtains 4.5 m/s of final speed at 0.20 seconds or not? Or after 0.20 seconds, the blood starts moving?

Please help...

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with your interpretation of the problem or with your solution.

Did the professor provide a complete solution of his own?

Yes, my prof has its own solution to this problem but he didn't discuss it in our class. He said this problem may appear in the next test. He just said that no one in his class got it right except his bright student last year.

I'm very suspicious about the data given.A blood velocity of 4.5m/s? That seems too high.

Yes, you're right, 4.5 m/s as a final velocity doesn't seems to happen in reality. But this is the velocity stated in this problem.

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do you solve problems using Newton's laws of motion?

To solve problems using Newton's laws of motion, you must first identify the forces acting on the object, including external forces and any forces of friction. Then, use Newton's second law to determine the net force acting on the object. Finally, use the equations F=ma and F=mg to find the acceleration or other unknown variables.

3. What is an example of a Newton's law of motion problem?

An example of a Newton's law of motion problem would be a car traveling at a constant speed on a flat road. The forces acting on the car would be the force of the engine propelling it forward and the force of friction from the road. Using Newton's laws, you could calculate the net force and acceleration of the car.

4. How do Newton's laws of motion relate to everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion are used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in everyday life. For example, the first law explains why objects stay at rest unless acted upon by a force, such as why a book stays on a table until someone picks it up. The second law helps explain the motion of objects, such as why a ball will roll down a hill faster than a larger rock. And the third law can be seen in action when you push against a wall and feel it pushing back against you with equal force.

5. What are some real-world applications of Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in designing cars, planes, and other vehicles. They are also used in sports, such as calculating the force needed to hit a baseball a certain distance. In space, Newton's laws are used to predict the motion of planets and spacecraft. They are also used in everyday situations, such as riding a bike or throwing a ball.