What Forces Act on a Man and Platform System in a Pulley Setup?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force needed to lift a man and platform upwards at 1.2ft/s^2 using a free body diagram. The man weighs 180lbs and the platform and attached frictionless pulley weigh a total of 43lbs. The user suggests using the free body diagram of the man and platform to identify the forces acting upwards and downwards and determining the tension in the rope based on the force applied by the man. The Atwood's Machine and its formulas are not necessary for this problem.
extreme2000
Question: Just give me hint of free body diagram where force will be considered because I have to find the force.I have tried this problem with past rules but now al little force problem so the question is
Question: A man weights 180lb;the plateform and attached frictionless pully weigh a total of 43lbs.Ignore the weight of the rope.With what force must the man pull up on the rope in order to lift himself up and the plateform upward at 1.2ft/s^2
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Newtons Law problems Help

Dear Users
Can i consider my problem with the (Atwood's) Machiene in opposite direction
Thanks

don't worry about the atwood machine formulas...

just use the freebody diagram of the man+platform...

what are the forces acting on the system upwards... what are the forces acting downwards...

If he pulls with a force F on the rope, then what is the tension in the rope?

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three principles that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law explains how the acceleration of an object is related to the net force and mass of the object. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do I solve a Newton's law problem?

To solve a Newton's law problem, you must first identify the forces acting upon the object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to determine the net force acting on the object. Finally, use the appropriate kinematic equations to solve for the unknown variables, such as acceleration, velocity, or displacement.

3. Can Newton's laws be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. They can also be used to describe the motion of objects in both inertial and non-inertial reference frames. However, they may not accurately predict the behavior of objects at very high speeds or in extreme conditions such as at the atomic level.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight in Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of an object's inertia, or resistance to change in motion, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In Newton's laws, mass is used to calculate the acceleration of an object, while weight is used to calculate the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in Newtons (N).

5. Can Newton's laws be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion are used extensively in engineering and physics to solve real-world problems. They can be applied to a wide range of scenarios, from the motion of planets to the design of bridges and buildings. By understanding and applying these laws, scientists and engineers are able to design and create complex systems and technologies that improve our daily lives.