Acceleration of the car if the max tension can be 8000N

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a 1500kg car being pulled up a ramp at an angle of 18 degrees with a tension of 8000N at 27 degrees from the hill. The person needs to find the car's acceleration and distance traveled in 5 seconds assuming a frictionless surface. They set up their equations and got an acceleration of 1.7236666 m/s*s and a distance of 21.55 meters. Later, they realize there is kinetic friction on the hill and use a coefficient of .15 to find a new acceleration of .689 and a distance of 8.61 meters. They confirm that their calculations were correct.
iamgod21
hey all, ok
so i have this physics problem which i don't understand completely so if i could get some help that'd be great! so here goes:
A 1500kg car is being pulled up a ramp at an angle of 18 degrees. Its being pulled by a tension of T at 27 degrees from the hill. *or 45 degrees* . I need to know the acceleration of the car if the max tension can be 8000N. Also, i need to know the distance it would travel from stop in 5 seconds. Thanks! *Assume frictionless surface*

Heres what i did:
---i set up my FBD w/ my tension and my Fn, and my mg. Set my coordinate systems to up the hill and up towards the sky. So my equations are as follows.
EFx = 8000cos27 - mhsin18=max
EFy = FN + 8000sin27 - mgcos18 = may=0
so i got acceleration was equal to 1.7236666 m/s*s
then i used D=vit + 1/2 a t *t and got the distance to be 21.55 is this correct?
Thanks a billion!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Note that there was no need for the Fy equation, but no harm done. Also, beware of quoting too many significant digits in your answer.

thanks a ton!

k so i just realized there was more to it so i did that and here's what it is:
now we have to assume there's kinetic friction on the hill at 18 degrees. the coefficient of kinetic friction is .15 and now we need the new acceleration and the new distance
so here's what i did:
i set up new equations:
EFx = 8000cos27 - mgsin18-Fk = max
EFy = FN + 8000sin27-mgcos18=may=0
so FN = 10348.61 N
so i solved Fk and plugged that into my Fx equations and plugged in 1500 for the mass and got that the acceleration was .689
then i plugged that into the same equation as before and go tthat the distance was 8.61 meters...again did i do this correctly?

It's all good.

Thanks! I got it correct!

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly the speed of an object changes.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration?

Tension is the force applied to an object in a specific direction. In the case of a car, the tension is the force exerted by the engine on the wheels. The higher the tension, the greater the acceleration of the car.

4. How does the maximum tension affect acceleration?

The maximum tension that a car can handle is a limit on the amount of force that can be applied to the wheels. If the maximum tension is increased, the car will experience a greater force and therefore have a higher acceleration.

5. Why is the maximum tension important for acceleration?

The maximum tension is important for acceleration because it determines the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the car. If the maximum tension is too low, the car will not be able to reach its maximum potential acceleration. On the other hand, if the maximum tension is too high, it can put strain on the car's engine and other components.