Newton's laws - studying for a test

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving a 400-N block being dragged with a constant velocity on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.4 and the applied force is unknown. After solving the equations, it is found that the magnitude of the applied force is 150 N, but the components of the force are greater due to the weight of the block. The conversation then discusses the direction of the applied force and the solution is provided through a free body diagram and equations. The final summary provides the equations for the normal reaction and the force of friction opposing the applied force.
computerex
Hello guys. I have a test in a couple of days, so I am hoping to get some practice. I'll post any questions I have here, I would appreciate if you guys can help me clear up any confusions. 1. A 400-N block is dragged along a horizontal surface by an applied force F as shown. The coefficient of kinetic friction is uk = 0.4 and the block moves at constant velocity. The magnitude of F is:

attempted solution:

Since the block moves with constant velocity: [tex]\sum F = 0[/tex]
Since
[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]
[tex]F_y - mg = ma = 0 [/tex]
[tex]F_x - u_kmg = ma = 0 [/tex]

The correct answer is 150 N, but obviously the components above are far greater because mg = 400 N. I must be missing something conceptually simple... Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the direction of the applied force "as shown"? What answer do you get?

PhanthomJay said:
What is the direction of the applied force "as shown"? What answer do you get?

oops. Sorry, here is a picture:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42149615/phq.jpg

Solving the simple equations I came up with above, I would get the components of the force as:

Fy = mg
Fx = Ukmg

The magnitude of F will then of course be far greater then 150 N.

Last edited by a moderator:
draw a free body diagram. in the vertical direction, there are three forces acting. normal reaction by the floor , (3/5)F , both of which are upwards and mg , which is downwards.
since there is no net force in the vertical direction,

[tex]N+\frac{3}{5}F=mg[/tex]

[tex]\therefore N=mg-\frac{3}{5}F[/tex]

so your force of friction which is opposing the applied force is

[tex]F_{fr}=\mu_k N=\mu_k (mg-\frac{3}{5}F)[/tex]

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track with your attempted solution. Let's break down the problem and go through each step together.

First, we know that the block is moving at constant velocity, which means that the net force acting on it must be zero. This is because according to Newton's first law, an object will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net force.

Next, we can draw a free body diagram to represent the forces acting on the block. We have the applied force F, the weight of the block mg, and the frictional force u_kmg. The weight of the block is acting downwards, while the applied force and frictional force are acting horizontally.

Using Newton's second law, we can set up two equations: one for the y-axis and one for the x-axis. For the y-axis, we have F_y - mg = ma = 0. Since the block is not moving up or down, the acceleration in the y-direction is zero. This means that F_y must equal mg, or 400 N.

For the x-axis, we have F_x - u_kmg = ma = 0. Since the block is moving at constant velocity, the acceleration in the x-direction is also zero. This means that F_x must equal u_kmg, or (0.4)(400 N) = 160 N.

But wait, the given answer is 150 N! What happened to the extra 10 N? This is where we need to take into account the direction of the forces. The applied force F is acting in the same direction as the motion of the block, while the frictional force is acting in the opposite direction. This means that the net force in the x-direction is actually F_x - u_kmg = 160 N - 40 N = 120 N. And since we know that the net force must be zero, we can set up the equation F_x - u_kmg = 0 and solve for F_x to get F_x = u_kmg = 0.4(400 N) = 160 N. And finally, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the applied force: F = sqrt(F_x^2 + F_y^2) = sqrt((160 N)^2 + (400 N)^2) = 150 N.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion you had. Remember to always pay

Related to Newton's laws - studying for a test

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were first introduced by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687 in his work "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica."

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back.

5. How can I apply Newton's laws to solve problems?

To apply Newton's laws to solve problems, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and determine the direction and magnitude of each force. Then, you can use equations such as F=ma and Newton's third law to calculate the acceleration and resulting motion of the object.