1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Second Law-Pulley problem

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 4.0-kg oak block on a horizontal, rough oak surface is attached by a light string that passes over a light, frictionless pulley to a hanging 2.0-kg object. The magnitude of the force of friction on the 4.0-kg block is 11.8 N.
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F_{net}[/tex]=ma
    [tex]F_{g}[/tex]=mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used [tex]F_{net}[/tex]=[tex]F_{g}[/tex]+[tex]F_{F}[/tex] and substituted in the values, but I don't seem to get the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2
    Either I am blind...or I don't see a QUESTION...

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    What are you looking for? Tension?

5. Oct 11, 2007 #4
    Assuming you're looking for tension...

[​IMG]

6. Oct 11, 2007 #5
    I was looking for acceleration.

7. Oct 11, 2007 #6
    Ok. Well, do you see how you can use my demonstration to solve for acceleration as well? Put T on one side of both italicized equations, set them equal to each other, then solve for acceleration.

8. Oct 12, 2007 #7
    I am in the same class as Precursor, and I am also stuck on this question. I was able to get the acceleration, but I am unable to get the tension in the string. I got 15.7N. Dvd, you also got 15.7N, but our answer key for this assignment says that the answer is 17N. So, are we wrong or is our answer key wrong?

9. Oct 12, 2007 #8

What did you calculate for an acceleration?

Casey

10. Oct 12, 2007 #9
    I calculated [tex]1.3 m/s^{2}[/tex] for the acceleration.

11. Oct 12, 2007 #10
    Perhaps your Force of Friction is incorrect? Double check and make sure all the numbers given is the same, and get back to me.

12. Oct 12, 2007 #11
    Dvdqnoc - I apologize in advance in case I've missed something, but, on the right side of your calculations, you have

T - 11.8 = 2a

Should it be

T - 11.8 = 4a

since that block has a mass of 4g?

13. Nov 20, 2008 #12
    Thank you - this was kind of helpful :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?