What is the structure of a glycol with a formula of C6H14O2?

In summary, the homework problem involves determining the structure of a glycol with the formula C6H14O2. The H NMR indicates 6H and 1H integrations, while the IR and H NMR spectra are also provided. The solution involves using the IDH formula to determine that the molecule is a straight chain with two OH groups and two CH3 groups.
irNewton

Homework Statement

It is supposed to be a glycol with a formula of C6H14O2.
The H NMR integrations are 6H and 1H as indicated on the H NMR.

The IR:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/90/18155707.jpg/

The H NMR:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/hnmr.jpg/

Homework Equations

IDH = (2+ (2*#C)- #H)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the IDH to be zero meaning that it is a straight chain.
My guess is:
CH3 CH3
| |
OH--C----C--OH
| |
CH3 CH3
I'm not sure if it's right though.
Thanks a lot to anyone who helps out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Thank you so much!

1. What is NMR analysis?

NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) analysis is a powerful analytical technique used to study the molecular structure and dynamics of chemical compounds. It involves the application of a strong magnetic field and radio frequency radiation to a sample, which causes the nuclei of the atoms in the sample to resonate. The resulting signals can then be used to determine the chemical structure and composition of the sample.

2. How does NMR analysis work?

NMR analysis works by exposing a sample to a strong magnetic field and a specific radio frequency radiation. The nuclei of the atoms in the sample will absorb and re-emit the radiation at a characteristic frequency, which is influenced by the chemical environment of the atoms. By analyzing the resulting signals, information about the chemical structure and composition of the sample can be obtained.

3. What types of samples can be analyzed using NMR?

NMR analysis can be used to analyze a wide variety of samples, including liquids, solids, and gases. It is commonly used in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry, and materials science to study chemical compounds, proteins, and polymers.

4. What are the advantages of using NMR analysis?

NMR analysis offers several advantages, including non-destructive analysis, high sensitivity, and the ability to provide detailed structural information about a sample. It is also a versatile technique that can be used for both qualitative and quantitative analysis.

5. What are some common applications of NMR analysis?

NMR analysis has many applications in various fields, including drug discovery, food science, environmental analysis, and forensic science. It is commonly used to identify and characterize chemical compounds, study protein structures, and monitor chemical reactions.