Solve Node Analysis Problem with Ideal Opamp

In summary, the user has done a node analysis incorrectly and is unable to find out what they have done wrong.
svenneman
Hi, I was searching google for answers about my problem and stumbled upon this forum. So I'll post my problem here and hope that some friendly soul can help me :)

I need to do a node-analysis of the circuit that I've attached here. The opamp is ideal so Ri=inf and R0=0 and A=inf. I end up with 3 equations for the nodes v1,v2:
eq1: (1/(1/jwC1)+1/R1)v1 = Uin/(1/jwC1)
eq2: (1/R3 + 1/(1/jwC2))v2 = Av1/R3
eq3: Uout=Av2

I am pretty sure I've done wrong in the node analysis, but I am unable to find out what I've done wrong (or right ;)). The equations I get later by solving the equationsystems doesn't add up. Any input or help on this problem is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• opamp.PNG
    opamp.PNG
    2 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You did it wrong. Equation 1 should be:
[tex]U_{in}\dot(j\omega C_1 + \frac{1}{R_1}) = V_1\dot\frac{1}{R_1})[/tex]
or, in simpler form:
[tex]V_1 = U_in\dot\frac{R_1}{R_1+\frac{1}{j\omegaC_1}[/tex]
Since the amplifier is ideal, there is a virtual short circuit between the + and - terminals and the output voltage is [tex]V_1[/tex]
Then equation 2 will be:
[tex]V_2 = V_1\dot\frac{\frac{1}{j\omegaC_2}}{R_2+\frac{1}{j\omegaC_2}[/tex]
and
[tex]U_{out} = V_2[/tex]

You did it wrong. Equation 1 should be:
[tex]U_{in}\dot(j\omega C_1 + \frac{1}{R_1}) = V_1\dot\frac{1}{R_1}[/tex]
or, in simpler form:
[tex]V_1 = U_in\dot\frac{R_1}{R_1+\frac{1}{j\omegaC_1}}[/tex]
Since the amplifier is ideal, there is a virtual short circuit between the + and - terminals and the output voltage is [tex]V_1[/tex]
Then equation 2 will be:
[tex]V_2 = V_1\dot\frac{\frac{1}{j\omegaC_2}}{R_2+\frac{1}{j\omegaC_2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]U_{out} = V_2[/tex]

Reposted because I was not able to edit

Still unable to write correctly the equations in LaTex I will write it in normal text.
Eq.1: V1 = Uin [R1/(R1+1/jwC1)]
Eq.2: V2 = V1 [(1/jwC2)/(R2+1/jwC2)]

Shouldnt it be R3 instead of R2 in your equations?

Last edited:
svenneman said:
Shouldnt it be R3 instead of R2 in your equations?
Yes, my mistake.

oky, then it makes more sense :P

thanks for the help, I'll sit down with the new equations and see if I can get a result out of it :)

1. What is Node Analysis and why is it used?

Node Analysis, also known as Nodal Analysis, is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at various nodes in a circuit. It is used to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze and understand.

2. What is an Ideal Opamp and how is it used in Node Analysis?

An Ideal Opamp is a theoretical component that has infinite gain, infinite input impedance, and zero output impedance. In Node Analysis, Ideal Opamps are used to analyze the voltage and current at the input and output nodes of the opamp, simplifying the circuit by assuming that the opamp has ideal characteristics.

3. What are the steps to solve a Node Analysis problem with an Ideal Opamp?

The steps to solve a Node Analysis problem with an Ideal Opamp are as follows:1. Identify all nodes in the circuit.2. Label the nodes with appropriate variables.3. Use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to write equations for each node.4. Apply the Ideal Opamp assumption to simplify the equations.5. Solve the equations to find the unknown node voltages and currents.6. Check the solution for accuracy.

4. What are the limitations of using an Ideal Opamp in Node Analysis?

While Ideal Opamps are useful for simplifying complex circuits, they do not exist in real life and have certain limitations. For example, they cannot provide infinite gain or have zero output impedance. Additionally, in practical circuits, the inputs and outputs of an opamp have some resistance and capacitance which can affect the analysis.

5. Can Node Analysis be used for circuits with non-ideal opamps?

Yes, Node Analysis can still be used for circuits with non-ideal opamps, but the analysis will be more complex and may require additional equations and considerations. In these cases, it may be more practical to use other circuit analysis methods such as Kirchhoff's Laws or the Voltage Division Rule.