Solving the Node Equation for I_2 in a Circuit

• Thread starter Lee33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of outward-going current, I2, in a circuit using the node equation. The important point is to be consistent with the chosen convention for positive and negative current direction. Ultimately, the value of I2 is determined to be 7, with various methods available to reach this conclusion.
Lee33

Homework Statement

Write the node equation for the circuit in the figure. If ##I_1 = 6 A,## ##I_4 = 5 A,## and ##I_3 = 4 A,## what is the value of the outward-going current ##I_2##?

current_conservation3a.gif

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in the steady state, the electron current entering a node in a circuit is equal to the electron current leaving that node, but I am not sure how to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try it from the different way of saying that: all the currents coming into a node have to add up to zero

So will ##I_2## equal ##-15##?

That's the right idea, but not the right answer.

The arrows on the diagram show you which directions of current flow are positive.

So it should be positive ##15## since the direction is in the positive direction?

Lee33 said:
So it should be positive ##15## since the direction is in the positive direction?
That's not quite right either.

You get to pick which direction (into or out of the node) is positive or negative. It's your choice. But once you pick it you must be consistent with all currents involved. (Your answer of "15" is incorrect because you didn't follow your chosen convention consistently. Consistency is what is important here.)

Notice that I1 and I4 have different directions than I2 and I3.

Once you pick a convention, if you follow the advice that phinds gives you can't go wrong. All the currents going into a node must add to zero. Or using the other convention, all currents leaving a node must add to zero. Pick either one of the two, then stick with it consistently.

There's also another way to do this: put all currents entering a node on one side of the equation and all currents leaving the node on the other side of the equation. Even though this method works, I still suggest using one of the above methods instead: putting all the currents on one side of the equation and summing them to zero (using your chosen convention of what is positive and what is negative, consistently). You can't go wrong with that.

Last edited:
Collinsmark - Following your advice will ##I_2## be ##7##?

Lee33 said:
Collinsmark - Following your advice will ##I_2## be ##7##?
Yes, that's right. Good job. :approve: Keep in mind though, there are several different ways that same answer could have been obtained, depending on your convention. Don't be afraid to explore the different methods! :smile:

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much!

FAQ: Solving the Node Equation for I_2 in a Circuit

1. How do I solve the node equation for I2 in a circuit?

Solving the node equation for I2 in a circuit involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to analyze the currents flowing into and out of the node where I2 is located. This will result in an equation with I2 as one of the unknown variables. To solve for I2, you will need to use algebraic methods to simplify the equation and isolate I2 on one side.

2. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law and how does it relate to solving the node equation for I2?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of all currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. This means that the total current flowing into a node must be equal to the total current flowing out of the node. When solving for I2 in a node equation, we use KCL to set up an equation that represents this balance of currents at the node.

3. Can I use Ohm's Law to solve for I2 in a node equation?

No, Ohm's Law (V=IR) cannot be directly used to solve for I2 in a node equation. Ohm's Law relates voltage, current, and resistance in a single branch of a circuit, whereas the node equation involves multiple branches and currents. However, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate individual currents in the circuit, which can then be used in the node equation.

4. What other methods can I use to solve for I2 in a node equation?

In addition to using KCL and algebraic methods, you can also use the Nodal Analysis method to solve for I2. This involves assigning unknown node voltages and using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to set up a system of equations that can be solved for the unknown currents, including I2.

5. Are there any special considerations when solving for I2 in a node equation?

When solving for I2 in a node equation, it is important to pay attention to the direction of the currents in the circuit. If a current is flowing into the node, it should be assigned a positive sign in the equation, whereas a current flowing out of the node should be assigned a negative sign. This will help ensure that the final solution for I2 has the correct direction.