1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Ideal Op-Amp gain derivation

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem statement is in the attachment HW 5, it is problem #1.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am just stuck with a whole bunch of variables and this just looks like a complete mess

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2
    The best and the easiest way to solve this circuit is to use a matrix. And then use the math software and allow the computer to solve the matrix for us.
    See the example

Attached Files:

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equations look right.

I have 2 suggestions:
    1. Instead of R, use G=1/R for all resistances. Makes the math look cleaner by eliminating fractions in your two basic equations.
    2. Put your basic equations into math software. Don't try to solve them yourself; you are liable to make a mistake.

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

I'm plugging in the numbers in your equation Jony, and my gain is many orders of magnitude greater than Rf/Rs.

I get -10^24 for the top part of the franction, then 10^16 on the bottom part, giving 10^6 as the gain. The gain for the ideal is 100.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. Mar 5, 2014 #5
    You must have made an error in your arithmetic. I get -99.9889 for the gain.

7. Mar 5, 2014 #6

Maylis

Gold Member

I do it over and over and get the same result, are you getting -9.99999E+24 on the top of the fraction, and 1.000E+17 on the bottom?

8. Mar 6, 2014 #7
    Here's the result I get:

attachment.php?attachmentid=67305&stc=1&d=1394099970.png

Attached Files:

9. Mar 6, 2014 #8
    Because I made a stupid mistake not in the matrix but in input 5. The gain is A times larger than is should. To correct this simply remove the first A in numerator

correct numerator = Ri RL (-A Rf+Ro) = Ri RL (Ro - Rf A)

Sorry for confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted