Non-Ideal Op-Amp gain derivation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a circuit problem using a matrix and math software. One person suggests using G=1/R for resistances to simplify the equations, while the other points out an error in their arithmetic. The mistake is corrected and the correct gain is determined.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Problem statement is in the attachment HW 5, it is problem #1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just stuck with a whole bunch of variables and this just looks like a complete mess

Attachments

• 5.1 attempt 1.pdf
    148.9 KB · Views: 201
  • HW 5.pdf
    425.4 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org
The best and the easiest way to solve this circuit is to use a matrix. And then use the math software and allow the computer to solve the matrix for us.
See the example

Attachments

• WO_NO_Ideal_0.1.pdf
    219.3 KB · Views: 288
Your equations look right.

I have 2 suggestions:
1. Instead of R, use G=1/R for all resistances. Makes the math look cleaner by eliminating fractions in your two basic equations.
2. Put your basic equations into math software. Don't try to solve them yourself; you are liable to make a mistake.

I'm plugging in the numbers in your equation Jony, and my gain is many orders of magnitude greater than Rf/Rs.

I get -10^24 for the top part of the franction, then 10^16 on the bottom part, giving 10^6 as the gain. The gain for the ideal is 100.

Last edited:
Maylis said:
I'm plugging in the numbers in your equation Jony, and my gain is many orders of magnitude greater than Rf/Rs.

I get -10^24 for the top part of the franction, then 10^16 on the bottom part, giving 10^6 as the gain. The gain for the ideal is 100.

You must have made an error in your arithmetic. I get -99.9889 for the gain.

I do it over and over and get the same result, are you getting -9.99999E+24 on the top of the fraction, and 1.000E+17 on the bottom?

Here's the result I get:

attachment.php?attachmentid=67305&stc=1&d=1394099970.png

Attachments

• Values.png
    Values.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 432
Maylis said:

Because I made a stupid mistake not in the matrix but in input 5. The gain is A times larger than is should. To correct this simply remove the first A in numerator

correct numerator = Ri RL (-A Rf+Ro) = Ri RL (Ro - Rf A)

Sorry for confusion.

1. What is an op-amp and how does it work?

An op-amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It has a high gain, high input impedance, and low output impedance, making it ideal for amplification and signal processing applications. It works by using a differential amplifier configuration, which amplifies the voltage difference between its two input terminals.

2. What is the ideal gain of an op-amp?

The ideal gain of an op-amp is infinite, meaning that it can amplify any input signal to an arbitrarily high output level. This is due to the high open-loop gain of the op-amp, which is typically in the range of 100,000 to 1 million. However, in practical circuits, the gain is limited by the power supply, frequency response, and internal imperfections of the op-amp.

3. How do you derive the non-ideal gain of an op-amp?

The non-ideal gain of an op-amp can be derived by considering the internal components of the op-amp, such as the gain bandwidth product, input and output impedances, and frequency response. These factors can be used to calculate the actual gain of the op-amp in a given circuit. The non-ideal gain is also affected by external factors, such as the load connected to the output, external feedback, and power supply limitations.

4. What are the limitations of the non-ideal op-amp gain derivation?

The non-ideal op-amp gain derivation is limited by the accuracy of the assumptions made about the internal components of the op-amp. In reality, the op-amp may have additional imperfections, such as offset voltage, input bias currents, and noise, which can affect the gain. Additionally, the derivation may not take into account external factors, such as temperature and aging, which can also impact the gain.

5. How can the non-ideal gain of an op-amp be improved?

The non-ideal gain of an op-amp can be improved by using feedback techniques, such as negative feedback, to reduce the impact of imperfections on the gain. Additionally, using op-amps with higher gain bandwidth products, lower input and output impedances, and better frequency response can also improve the non-ideal gain. Careful circuit design and component selection can also help minimize the effects of external factors on the gain.