1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem wants us to develop an equation for velocity distribution and the mass flow rate of a fluid, flowing between 2 parallel plates:

The distance between the two plates is a.
    The top plate is maintained at constant T1; the bottom plate is maintained at constant T2.
    The coordinate normal to the plates is X; the coordinate in the direction of flow is Z.
    (Thus, the bottom plate is defined as x = 0 and the top plate x = a).

To attempt the problem, we are told to solve for solve for [itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] from the equation of motion, and then identify the velocity distribution and mass flow rate using the first equation below:

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] = - [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\frac{dv_{z}}{dx}[/itex]

[itex]\mu[/itex] = [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{o}[/itex] (1 + [itex]\beta[/itex] ( T[itex]_{o} - T_{1}[/itex]) x } / {T_{o}^2 a}[/itex] )

3. The attempt at a solution

Solving for [itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] from the equation of motion:

[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] = C1 + x [itex]\frac{dP}{dz}[/itex] = [itex]\mu[/itex] [itex]\frac{dv_{z}}{dx}[/itex]

From here, I use no slip boundary conditions at x = 0 and x = a and solve the above equation plugging in for [itex]\mu[/itex].

From this I get a very convoluted expression:

v[itex]_{z}[/itex] = [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{o}[/itex] ( [itex]\frac{T_{o}^2 a}{\beta ( T_{o} - T_{1} )}[/itex] + ( [itex]\frac{-a^6 T_{o}^3}{ln(1 + \beta ( T_{o} - T_{1} ) / T_{o}^2) \beta^5 (T_{o} - T_{1})^5}[/itex]) ln(1 + \beta ( T_{o} - T_{1} x / (a T_{o}^2) [itex]\frac{dP}{dz}[/itex]

However, plugging in T1 = To, should yield the simple equation for isothermal flow. Instead, it = 0.

Any advice?

PS. I accidentally solved the problem the first time through with [itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{\mu}[/itex] [itex]\frac{dvz}{dx}[/itex], and it worked nicely. Is there a good way to justify this? Or am I simply insane.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted