Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that requires the development of an equation for velocity distribution and mass flow rate of a fluid between two parallel plates. The problem provides information about the distance between the plates, their temperatures, and the coordinates used. The attempt at solving the problem involves finding \tau_{xz} from the equation of motion and using no-slip boundary conditions to solve for the velocity distribution. However, there are some errors in the solution, including an incorrect equation for \tau_{xz} and a convoluted expression for v_z. The conversation also addresses a question about justifying a certain equation, but it is not a valid justification for the given problem.
TexanFromTexa

Homework Statement

The problem wants us to develop an equation for velocity distribution and the mass flow rate of a fluid, flowing between 2 parallel plates:

The distance between the two plates is a.
The top plate is maintained at constant T1; the bottom plate is maintained at constant T2.
The coordinate normal to the plates is X; the coordinate in the direction of flow is Z.
(Thus, the bottom plate is defined as x = 0 and the top plate x = a).

To attempt the problem, we are told to solve for solve for [itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] from the equation of motion, and then identify the velocity distribution and mass flow rate using the first equation below:

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] = - [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\frac{dv_{z}}{dx}[/itex]

[itex]\mu[/itex] = [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{o}[/itex] (1 + [itex]\beta[/itex] ( T[itex]_{o} - T_{1}[/itex]) x } / {T_{o}^2 a}[/itex] )

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for [itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] from the equation of motion:

[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] = C1 + x [itex]\frac{dP}{dz}[/itex] = [itex]\mu[/itex] [itex]\frac{dv_{z}}{dx}[/itex]

From here, I use no slip boundary conditions at x = 0 and x = a and solve the above equation plugging in for [itex]\mu[/itex].

From this I get a very convoluted expression:

v[itex]_{z}[/itex] = [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{o}[/itex] ( [itex]\frac{T_{o}^2 a}{\beta ( T_{o} - T_{1} )}[/itex] + ( [itex]\frac{-a^6 T_{o}^3}{ln(1 + \beta ( T_{o} - T_{1} ) / T_{o}^2) \beta^5 (T_{o} - T_{1})^5}[/itex]) ln(1 + \beta ( T_{o} - T_{1} x / (a T_{o}^2) [itex]\frac{dP}{dz}[/itex]

However, plugging in T1 = To, should yield the simple equation for isothermal flow. Instead, it = 0.

Any advice?

PS. I accidentally solved the problem the first time through with [itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{xz}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{\mu}[/itex] [itex]\frac{dvz}{dx}[/itex], and it worked nicely. Is there a good way to justify this? Or am I simply insane.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving the problem. I can see that you have put a lot of effort into it. However, I believe there are a few issues with your solution that may be causing the discrepancy.

Firstly, the equation you have used for \tau_{xz} is not correct. It should be \tau_{xz} = -\mu \frac{d v_z}{dx}. This is because the shear stress is proportional to the velocity gradient, not the velocity itself.

Secondly, I am not sure where the constant C1 comes from in your equation. It should not be present in the expression for \tau_{xz}. Additionally, when you plug in the expression for \mu, it should be \mu = \mu_o \left(1 + \beta \frac{T_o - T_1}{T_o^2} x\right), not the expression you have written.

Finally, I am not sure how you got the expression for v_z in terms of x and \frac{dP}{dz}. Could you please explain your steps in more detail?

As for your question about justifying \tau_{xz} = \frac{1}{\mu} \frac{d v_z}{dx}, I believe that this is not a valid justification. The equation you have used is for a Newtonian fluid, whereas the problem statement does not specify the type of fluid. Additionally, the problem asks for an equation for \tau_{xz}, not for \frac{d v_z}{dx}.

I hope this helps in identifying any errors in your solution and finding a correct approach to the problem. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem?

A Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem is a type of fluid dynamics problem that involves the flow of a fluid between two parallel plates at different temperatures. This type of problem is often used to model the flow of liquids or gases in industrial processes.

2. How is heat transfer taken into account in a Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem?

In a Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem, heat transfer is taken into account through the inclusion of a heat transfer coefficient, which represents the rate at which heat is transferred between the fluid and the plates. This coefficient is dependent on factors such as the properties of the fluid and the surface area of the plates.

3. What are the governing equations for a Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem?

The governing equations for a Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of the fluid, and the energy equation, which describes the transfer of heat within the system. These equations are typically solved numerically using computational fluid dynamics methods.

4. How does the geometry of the plates affect the solution of a Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem?

The geometry of the plates can have a significant impact on the solution of a Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problem. The distance between the plates, as well as their length and width, can affect the velocity and temperature profiles of the fluid, and therefore must be carefully considered when solving this type of problem.

5. What are some real-world applications of Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problems?

Nonisothermal Parallel Plate Flow Problems have many practical applications in fields such as chemical engineering, aerospace engineering, and materials science. Some examples include the cooling of electronic devices, the mixing of fluids in industrial processes, and the flow of air over aircraft wings.