Nuclear Engineering Graduate Programs

In summary, if you are interested in studying advanced reactor designs and fuels in a nuclear engineering graduate program, it is important to check the interests of individual faculty members. This will likely involve research activities rather than regular courses. For example, the University of Michigan offers a graduate program in nuclear engineering that allows for research in this area. It would also be beneficial to speak with the graduate chair about your specific interests. Additionally, many nuclear engineering schools have faculty members who specialize in either advanced reactor designs or new fuels, such as Georgia Tech with their research on an Ultra Safe Light Water Reactor. When considering graduate programs, it is important to determine if you are interested in material science research for fuels or reactor physics for reactor design.
caldweab
Anybody know of any nuclear engineering graduate programs where I can study advanced reactor designs and fuels. I would like to research liquid fluoride thorium reactors. I was looking at NC State but I don't see anything on their that suggest they have any research in those areas.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should check the interests of individual faculty members - this would be a research activity, rather than a regular course.

For example: http://www.engin.umich.edu/ners/academics/grad
And talk to the the graduate chair about your interests.

UltrafastPED said:
You should check the interests of individual faculty members - this would be a research activity, rather than a regular course.

For example: http://www.engin.umich.edu/ners/academics/grad
And talk to the the graduate chair about your interests.

Thanks for the info, and I do want to do research. This is going to be for a MS in Nuclear Engineering

caldweab said:
Anybody know of any nuclear engineering graduate programs where I can study advanced reactor designs and fuels. I would like to research liquid fluoride thorium reactors. I was looking at NC State but I don't see anything on their that suggest they have any research in those areas.

Most nuclear engineering graduate schools will have a few researcher (see professors) who have research in either "advanced" reactor designs or new fuels. For example, Georgia Tech has a grant to develop a new Ultra Safe Light Water Reactor (https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/server.pt/community/neup_home/600/fy12_irp_awards top award). Are you wanting to do material science research for fuels? Or reactor physics for reactor design? Those are the real things you should be asking yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are several top universities that offer graduate programs in nuclear engineering, including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of Michigan, University of California-Berkeley, and Georgia Institute of Technology. These programs often have specializations in advanced reactor designs and fuels, and some may have specific research opportunities in liquid fluoride thorium reactors. It would be beneficial to reach out to the program coordinators or faculty members in these universities to inquire about their research interests and any current projects related to your area of interest. Additionally, you may also consider looking into national laboratories such as Argonne National Laboratory or Idaho National Laboratory, which also conduct research on advanced nuclear reactor designs and fuels. It is important to thoroughly research and compare programs to find the best fit for your academic and research goals.

What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of study that involves the application of nuclear physics, materials science, and other engineering disciplines to the design, development, and operation of nuclear reactors, nuclear power plants, and other nuclear systems. It also includes the study of nuclear waste management, radiation protection, and nuclear safety.

What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

Pursuing a graduate degree in nuclear engineering can lead to a variety of career opportunities in the fields of nuclear power, research and development, and national defense. It can also provide a deeper understanding of nuclear science and technology, as well as advanced skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management.

What are the requirements for admission into a nuclear engineering graduate program?

The specific requirements for admission into a nuclear engineering graduate program may vary depending on the institution. Generally, applicants are expected to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, strong academic performance, and relevant work experience. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

What courses are typically included in a nuclear engineering graduate program?

Courses in a nuclear engineering graduate program may include nuclear reactor theory, radiation detection and measurement, nuclear materials science, nuclear fuel cycle, nuclear safety and security, and nuclear waste management. Some programs may also offer courses in nuclear policy, nuclear economics, and nuclear engineering design projects.

What career options are available for graduates of nuclear engineering graduate programs?

Graduates of nuclear engineering graduate programs can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including nuclear power, national laboratories, government agencies, research and development, and consulting firms. They may also work in areas such as nuclear waste management, radiation protection, and nuclear policy.