Numerical problem about circuits

In summary, by adding a 1.2 kilo-ohms resistance between the source terminals, the ammeter reading drops from 11.988 mA to 11.889 mA. This leads to the conclusion that the internal resistance of the current source, R_s, is 13,200 ohms and the current provided by the source, i_s, is 11.997 mA. However, there may be a slight discrepancy in the answers due to rounding.
Salman
PROBLEM:the current at the terminals of a certain current source is measured with an ammeter having an internal resistance [tex]R_i=10 ohms[/tex] and is found to be [tex]11.988 mA[/tex] ;adding a [tex]1.2 kilo -ohms[/tex] resistance between the source terminals causes the ammeter reading to drop to [tex]11.889 mA[/tex].Find [tex]i_s[/tex] and [tex]R_s[/tex]

NOTE:[tex]i_s[/tex] and [tex]R_s[/tex] constitute a practical current source.i.e [tex]R_s[/tex] is the internalresistance of the source [tex]i_s[/tex]

note:my answers don't quite match with the answer at the back of the textbook...
my calulations: [tex]i_s=11.997 mA[/tex] and [tex]R_s=13200ohms[/tex]
answers in the answer booklet:[tex]i_s=12mA[/tex] and [tex]R_s=10kilohms[/tex]:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the two voltages at the top of the ammeter as .11988V and then .11889V. The two currents are then 11.988mA and 11.889mA+.11889V/1.2kOhms.

The change in voltage was .00099V
The change in current was .000075mA = .000000075A

So Rs = .00099V/.000000075A = 13,200 ohms just like you got. Maybe they're rounding to a single significant figure.

Then Is = 11.988 mA + .11988V / 13.2 Kohms = 11.99708 mA

Maybe your answers are right, except for the rounding.

Carl

ok thank u sir!:smile:

Related to Numerical problem about circuits

What is a numerical problem about circuits?

A numerical problem about circuits is a type of question or exercise that involves using mathematical equations and principles to solve for unknown values or variables in an electrical circuit.

What are some common types of numerical problems about circuits?

Some common types of numerical problems about circuits include finding the voltage, current, resistance, or power in a circuit, solving for equivalent resistance in series or parallel circuits, and analyzing circuits with capacitors and inductors.

How do you approach solving a numerical problem about circuits?

To solve a numerical problem about circuits, you should first identify the given values and unknown variables, then apply relevant equations and principles, and finally solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving numerical problems about circuits?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving numerical problems about circuits include using incorrect equations, mixing up units of measurement, and forgetting to account for voltage drops across components.

Why are numerical problems about circuits important?

Numerical problems about circuits are important because they help us understand and apply the fundamental principles of electricity and electronics, and they also allow us to analyze and design real-world electrical circuits and devices.