Understanding Ohm's Law: The Relationship between Resistance and Voltage

In summary, Ohm's law is a mathematical model that states that resistance is a constant across a range of voltages.
hamburgler
Ohm's Law Yay! :(

Homework Statement

1. How does the resistance of most objects vary with voltage?

Homework Equations

V=RI I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

They are independent of each other (resistance is a constant).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your last two sentences are contradictory. If they are independent of each other, then they don't mutually increase. Which do you believe?

I changed it to read

They are independent of each other (resistance is a constant).

I'm not sure if I understand you... Are you saying that the voltage drop of a series resistor increases as the source voltage increases? If so, you are correct.

Robble Robble

Then you are correct. For most substances, over some range of voltage, the resistance is approximately independent of voltage. Hence, 'Ohms law'. There are exceptions.

This is more or less a mathematical model. Resistance is 'constant' in most of the real world applications where we use Carbon resistors and such.

The formula:

[tex]
R = \frac{V}{I}
[/tex]

means that 'R' is proportional to 'V' given that 'I' is constant. But, in real world practices, 'I' varies constantly with 'V'. Mathematically what this means is that, if 'V' is increased.. then to keep 'I' constant, 'R' must be increased proportionally to 'V'.

Some increases are phenomenal. Like the increase of current when voltage is increased under constant current. It happens all by itself with indirect intervention from you [you increased the voltage]. Other changes require the direct intervention of the observer. Mathematics doesn't take into account who or what causes the change. Proportionality is a study of relation of changes, no matter what causes it.

Take the case when you have a rheostat in your circuit. You need to change the 'R' here everytime 'V' is changed to ensure that 'I' is constant. And when you do this for various values for 'V' and 'R' such that 'I' is kept constant for each step of the way.. you'll see that 'V' is proportional to 'R'.

Hope that helps.

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between resistance, voltage, and current in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electrons to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on factors such as the material, length, and cross-sectional area of a conductor.

3. What is voltage?

Voltage, also known as potential difference, is the force that pushes electrons through a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is often compared to the pressure in a water pipe, with higher voltage meaning more force pushing the electrons.

4. How is Ohm's Law used in real-world applications?

Ohm's Law is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits, calculating power consumption, and selecting the appropriate components for a circuit. It is also used in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and power generation.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Ohm's Law?

One common misconception is that Ohm's Law only applies to resistors. In reality, it applies to all types of conductors, including wires, semiconductors, and even the human body. Another misconception is that Ohm's Law can be violated, when in fact it is a fundamental law of physics that holds true under all conditions.