One more Quantum Matrix question

In summary: Sorry for the confusion.In summary, Wong tried to provide a proof that AS=DS but the proof is incorrect.
Ed Quanta
Let A be a Hermitian nxn matrix. Let the column vectors of the nxn matrix S be comprised of the orthnormalized eigenvectors of A

Again, Sinv is the inverse of S

a) Show that S is unitary
b) Show that Sinv(A)S is a diagonal matrix comrpised of the eigenvalues of A

No idea how to start this one off.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) U is a unitary matrix <=> U*U = I, where "*" denotes conjugate transpose <=> [tex] \sum_{j} u_{ji}^{*}u_{jk} = \delta_{ik}[/tex] <=> [tex]u_{i}^{*}u_{k}=\delta_{ik}[/tex], where [tex]u_{i}[/tex] is the ith column of U. The last relation implies orthogonality of columns of U.

b)This one needs a little thought. If u is an eigenvector of A, then [tex]Au=\lambda u[/tex]. Then what is AS? Remember that each column of S is just an eigenvector of A. Also note that Sinv*S=I.

Last edited:
Wong said:
a) U is a unitary matrix <=> U*U = I, where "*" denotes conjugate transpose <=> [tex] \sum_{j} u_{ji}^{*}u_{jk} = \delta_{ik}[/tex] <=> [tex]u_{i}^{*}u_{k}=\delta_{ik}[/tex], where [tex]u_{i}[/tex] is the ith column of U. The last relation implies orthogonality of columns of U.

b)This one needs a little thought. If u is an eigenvector of A, then [tex]Au=\lambda u[/tex]. Then what is AS? Remember that each column of S is just an eigenvector of A. Also note that Sinv*S=I.

Sorry, I am still not sure how to find AS without knowing the eigenvectors of A.

Ed Quanta said:
Sorry, I am still not sure how to find AS without knowing the eigenvectors of A.

First try to think about what you want to prove. That is, [tex]S^{-1}AS=D[/tex], where D is a diagonal matrix. This is equivalent to proving AS=DS, where D is diagonal. Now each column of S is an eigenvector of A. So A acting on S should produce something quite simple. (Try to think of what is the defining eigenvalue equation for A.) May you put the result in the form DS, where D is a diagonal matrix?

Wong Wrong

I have doubts that either of you guys will read this anytime soon. I had this same problem and the conclusion that Wong tried to provide is incorrect. Instead of [tex]AS=DS[/tex] it's actually [tex]AS=SD[/tex]. The product DS will produce the correct entries along the diagonal but false elsewhere (really think about what you're doing here). But if you use the produce SD it will provide the correct eigenvalue for every eigenvector.

1. What is the Quantum Matrix?

The Quantum Matrix is a theoretical mathematical model used to describe the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which states that particles can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously.

2. How is the Quantum Matrix different from the classical matrix?

The Quantum Matrix differs from the classical matrix in that it takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level. Unlike the classical matrix, where the state of a particle is known with certainty, the Quantum Matrix describes the state of a particle as a probability distribution.

3. What is the significance of the Quantum Matrix in physics?

The Quantum Matrix is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has been used to explain various phenomena, such as quantum entanglement and the wave-particle duality of particles. It also plays a significant role in the development of quantum technologies and quantum computing.

4. Can the Quantum Matrix be tested or observed experimentally?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for the existence of the Quantum Matrix. However, its predictions have been confirmed through numerous experiments, such as the double-slit experiment and the Bell test. Further research and technological advancements may allow for the direct observation or manipulation of the Quantum Matrix in the future.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Quantum Matrix?

While the Quantum Matrix is primarily a theoretical model, it has practical applications in various fields, including quantum computing and cryptography. It also has the potential to revolutionize communication and information processing by harnessing the power of quantum entanglement.