Designing an Op-Amp with Variable Gain: Need Advice

In summary, the designer created an op-amp that has a variable gain of 13 when the resistor is at one extreme and 3 when the resistor is at the other extreme. The op-amp can use up to 2 op-amps and up to 7 resistors, including the variable resistor.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

Design an op-amp that uses a variable 50k ohm resistor. when this variable resistor is at one extreme, the gain is 13, and at the other extreme, the gain is 3. you may use up to 2 op-amps, and up to 7 resistors (including the variable resistor)

The Attempt at a Solution

here is the circuit i came up with:

OPAMPdesign.jpg

I made it so all I would have to find is Rf to satisfy the design.

here is how I solved for Rf

first extreme:

[tex] (1 + \frac{R_f}{60k-ohms}) = 13 [/tex]

next extreme:

[tex](1 + \frac{R_f}{110k-ohms}) = 3 [/tex]

combine the two equations:

[tex]11 + \frac{R_f}{110k-ohms} = 1 + \frac{R_f}{60k-ohms}[/tex]

[tex] 10 = R_f (\frac{1}{60k-ohms} - \frac{1}{110k-ohms})[/tex]

[tex] R_f = 1.32M-ohms[/tex]

this answer gives a gain of 13 on one extreme of the variable resistor and 23 on the other. whoops. any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two equations in one variable? Why should they have the same solution? As expected, if you solve them individually, you find they do not.

How would you fix this?

you're right, I get a different resistor values for each equation, yet it needs to be the same value.

Mathematically, I should have one equation for each variable. There's only one but I forget how to solve an equation that has an answer of 3 OR 13...

either i need more variables or i need less equations

yeah i need another pointer

Last edited:
What I make the 60kohm resistor R1 (or another unknown)...

that way I could have two equations with two unknowns. Is this the correct way to approach this problem?

Yes, that would be one way to fix it. To solve a problem with n independent boundary values, you need n independent parameters.

Good, cause it worked. I got R1 = 10k ohm and Rf = 120k ohm which give me the correct gain(s). Thank you so much I appreciate all the help this forum gives me.

But out of curiousity, you said that's "one" way to solve it. got another trick up your sleeve?

Last edited:
Number2Pencil said:
But out of curiousity, you said that's "one" way to solve it. got another trick up your sleeve?

There are a huge number of ways you could design the circuit within the constraints you are given. For example this is a completely different idea which doesn't need any algebra to figure it out.

(Except its deliberately wrong because it has gains of -3 to -13, so its not a complete solution to your question!)

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
AlephZero said:
(Except its deliberately wrong because it has gains of -3 to -13, so its not a complete solution to your question!)

Getting kind of sneaky there, are we? :biggrin:

Number2Pencil said:
I would have put the trimpot on the feedback loop, instead of as an input resistor.

yeah, i realized it today that by putting the trimmer on the feedback, i'd get the low, 3 gain when it's shorted and 13 when it's the full 50k, which would just make it less confusing to use

1. What is an op amp and how does it work?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component used in many circuits to amplify and process signals. It typically has two inputs, an inverting and non-inverting, and an output. The output is proportional to the difference between the two inputs, and the op amp amplifies this difference by a very high factor.

2. What factors should I consider when designing an op amp circuit?

When designing an op amp circuit, it is important to consider the desired gain, bandwidth, input and output impedance, and supply voltage requirements. Other factors such as noise, stability, and temperature drift may also need to be taken into account depending on the application.

3. Can I use any op amp for my design?

No, not all op amps are suitable for every design. Some factors to consider when choosing an op amp include the required input and output voltage range, supply voltage, and frequency response. It is important to carefully select an op amp that meets the specific requirements of your circuit.

4. What is the difference between a single supply and dual supply op amp?

A single supply op amp operates with one power supply, typically a positive voltage, while a dual supply op amp uses both a positive and negative voltage. Single supply op amps are more commonly used, but dual supply op amps can provide a wider range of output voltage and better performance in certain applications.

5. How can I improve the performance of my op amp circuit?

There are several ways to improve the performance of an op amp circuit, such as using decoupling capacitors to reduce noise, choosing an op amp with better specifications, and optimizing the circuit layout to minimize parasitic effects. It is also important to carefully select and use external components, such as resistors and capacitors, to ensure proper operation of the op amp.