Proving $\zeta(2)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$ via Geometric Series & Substitutions

In summary, the geometric series can be used to prove the value of $\zeta(2)$ by manipulating it to represent the Riemann zeta function, where s=2. This proof is significant as it connects two seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts and validates the Riemann zeta function. The proof technique can also be extended to other values of s, but is most useful for odd s values. While there are other methods for proving $\zeta(2)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$, the geometric series and substitution method is one of the most straightforward and accessible. The practical applications of this proof lie in the various uses of the Riemann zeta function in mathematics, including number theory, physics, and
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Prove
$$
\zeta(2) = \sum_{n\in \mathbb{N}}\dfrac{1}{n^2} = \dfrac{\pi^2}{6}
$$
by evaluating
$$
\int_0^1\int_0^1\dfrac{1}{1-xy}\,dx\,dy
$$
twice: via the geometric series and via the substitutions ##u=\dfrac{y+x}{2}\, , \,v=\dfrac{y-x}{2}##.

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble. I tried$$I = \int_0^1 \int_0^1 \frac{1}{1-xy} dx dy = 2\int_0^{\frac{1}{2}} \int_v^{1-v} \frac{1}{1-(u+v)(u-v)} du dv + 2\int_{-
\frac{1}{2}}^{0} \int_{-v}^{1+v} \frac{1}{1-(u+v)(u-v)} du dv $$because ##0 \leq x \leq 1##, ##0 \leq y \leq 1## in the ##x##-##y## space maps to a region ##u \leq 1+v##, ##u \geq v##, ##u \leq 1-v##, ##u \geq -v## in the ##u##-##v## space, and $$\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)} = \begin{vmatrix}
1 & -1\\
1 & 1\end{vmatrix} = 2
$$That would appear to give$$I = 2\int_0^{\frac{1}{2}} \frac{\text{artanh}(\frac{1-v}{\sqrt{1+v^2}}) - \text{artanh}(\frac{v}{\sqrt{1+v^2}})}{\sqrt{1+v^2}} dv + 2\int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{0} \frac{\text{artanh}(\frac{1+v}{\sqrt{1+v^2}}) - \text{artanh}(\frac{-v}{\sqrt{1+v^2}})}{\sqrt{1+v^2}} dv$$Wondered if you had any pointers? 😜

If you draw a picture of the two integration areas (square ##(x,y)## and diamond ##(u,v)##), and use the symmetry along the ##u##-axis beside the Jacobi determinant for the coordinate change then the integration becomes
$$
\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1}\dfrac{1}{1-xy}\,dx\,dy=4\int_{0}^{1/2}\left(\int_{0}^{u}\dfrac{dv}{1-u^2+v^2}\right)\,du +4\int_{1/2}^{1}\left(\int_{0}^{1-u}\dfrac{dv}{1-u^2+v^2}\right)\,du
$$
to which you can apply the integration formula for ##\int \frac{dx}{a^2+x^2}## which is basically how far you got except for maybe easier boundaries.

Now you can either substitute ##u=\sin \alpha\, , \,u=\cos \beta,## or more directly differentiate the ##\arctan ## term to get integrals of the form ##\int g'(u)g(u)\,du## which can be done by integration by parts.

Likes etotheipi
OK, I think I got it. To do the first integral, let ##u = \sin{\alpha}##, $$4\int_0^{\frac{1}{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} \arctan{\frac{u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}} du = 4\int_0^\frac{\pi}{6} \arctan{(\tan{\alpha})} d\alpha = 4\left[ \frac{1}{2} \alpha^2 \right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{6}} = \frac{\pi^2}{18}$$For the second integral, we notice that$$\begin{align*}\frac{d}{du} \left(\arctan{\frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{1+u}}} \right)^2 &= -\frac{1}{4} \left( \frac{\sqrt{1+u}}{\sqrt{1-u}} + \frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{1+u}}\right) \cdot 2\arctan{\frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{1+u}}}\\ &= -\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} \cdot 2\arctan{\frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{1+u}}}\\

&=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} \arctan{\frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{1+u}}}\end{align*}$$which means that$$4\int_{\frac{1}{2}}^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} \arctan{\frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{1+u}}} du = 4\left[-\left(\arctan{\frac{\sqrt{1-u}}{\sqrt{1+u}}} \right)^2 \right]_\frac{1}{2}^1 =4 \left(\arctan{\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}} \right)^2 = \frac{\pi^2}{9}$$Hence the sum is$$I = I_1 + I_2 = \frac{\pi^2}{18} + \frac{\pi^2}{9} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}$$Now for the second half. By analogy to the formula for the sum of an infinite geometric series, the integral can be re-written as$$\begin{align*}I &= \int_0^1 \int_0^1 1 + xy + x^2 y^2 + x^3 y^3 + \dots dx dy \\

&= \int_0^1 \left[x + \frac{1}{2}yx^2 + \frac{1}{3}y^2 x^3 + \frac{1}{4}y^3 x^4 + \dots \right]_0^1 dy \\

&= \int_0^1 1 + \frac{1}{2}y + \frac{1}{3}y^2 + \frac{1}{4} y^3 + \dots dy \\

&= \left[y + \frac{1}{4}y^2 + \frac{1}{9}y^3 + \frac{1}{16}y^4 + \dots \right]_0^1 \\

&= \sum_{n \in \mathbb{N}} \frac{1}{n^2}\end{align*}$$Hence,$$\zeta(2) = \sum_{n\in \mathbb{N}}\dfrac{1}{n^2} = \dfrac{\pi^2}{6}$$

Likes fresh_42
Well done. You used both hints and combined them: one with a trig substitution and one with integration by parts. You really understood the idea of this training ground! Ready for the next lap?

How to get the maximum out of a proof? With corollaries!

Prove that Euler's series ##\zeta(2)=\pi^2/6## is equivalent to
$$
\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{(2k+1)^2} = \dfrac{\pi^2}{8}
$$

Likes etotheipi
If I understood correctly, I think what you want is to re-write$$\sum_{n \in \mathbb{N}}\dfrac{1}{n^2} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k)^2} + \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k + 1)^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}$$i.e. splitting the sum into even and odd terms. Then subtracting the even sum from the LHS,$$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k + 1)^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} - \frac{1}{4} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} - \frac{\pi^2}{24} = \frac{\pi^2}{8}$$Phew, that wasn't as difficult as last time 😅

Likes fresh_42
etotheipi said:
If I understood correctly, I think what you want is to re-write$$\sum_{n \in \mathbb{N}}\dfrac{1}{n^2} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k)^2} + \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k + 1)^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}$$i.e. splitting the sum into even and odd terms. Then subtracting the even sum from the LHS,$$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k + 1)^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} - \frac{1}{4} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} - \frac{\pi^2}{24} = \frac{\pi^2}{8}$$Phew, that wasn't as difficult as last time 😅
No, it wasn't. However, it was merely the information lap to ...
$$
\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k + 1)^2} = \int_0^1 \int_0^1 \dfrac{1}{1-x^2y^2}\,dx\,dy
$$
To be honest, I have no idea how the authors of this proof came up with their substitution for the RHS to calculate the integral. Maybe the Weierstraß substitution leads to it, or at least close to it. Have a try!

Likes etotheipi
ahaha, okay. I've got a few things to finish off for tomorrow, but I'll come back and try that one when I get the chance :wink:. Thanks for the question!

1. What is the significance of proving $\zeta(2)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$?

The Riemann zeta function, denoted by $\zeta(s)$, is a mathematical function that has important applications in number theory and other areas of mathematics. The value of $\zeta(2)$, also known as the Basel problem, has been of great interest to mathematicians for centuries. Proving that $\zeta(2)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$ has significant implications in understanding the behavior of the zeta function and its relationship with other mathematical concepts.

2. What is the geometric series method used to prove $\zeta(2)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$?

The geometric series method involves representing the zeta function as an infinite sum of fractions, known as a geometric series. By manipulating this series using algebraic techniques, we can arrive at the value of $\zeta(2)$ in terms of well-known mathematical constants, such as $\pi$ and $e$. This method is a powerful tool in proving many mathematical identities and has been used to solve the Basel problem.

3. How does the substitution technique help in proving $\zeta(2)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$?

The substitution technique involves replacing the variable in a mathematical expression with a different variable or expression. In the case of proving $\zeta(2)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$, we use the substitution $x=\frac{1}{n}$ in the geometric series to simplify the series and make it easier to evaluate. This technique is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to solve complex problems.

4. What are the limitations of using the geometric series and substitution methods to prove $\zeta(2)=\frac{\pi^2}{6}$?

While the geometric series and substitution methods are powerful tools in proving mathematical identities, they are not always applicable. In some cases, these methods may not work or may lead to incorrect results. It is important for mathematicians to understand the limitations of these methods and to use them carefully.

5. Can the geometric series and substitution methods be used to prove other values of the zeta function?

Yes, the geometric series and substitution methods can be used to prove other values of the zeta function, such as $\zeta(4)$ and $\zeta(6)$. However, the specific techniques and substitutions used may vary depending on the value being evaluated. It is important to understand the underlying principles of these methods to apply them effectively in solving problems related to the zeta function.