Optimum gap size for diffraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of diffraction and how the amount of diffraction can be quantified. It is determined that diffraction is at a maximum when the width of the gap is similar in length to the wavelength of the light, and less diffraction occurs when the wavelength is multiple orders of magnitude larger than the slit. The topic is being discussed at a high school level and the person asking the question has not done any previous diffraction work.
The_Nster

Homework Statement

Is diffraction at a maximum when the width of the gap is similar in length to the wavelength of the light? (ie. W ≈ λ, where w=width)

Or is it a maximum when the width is smaller than the wavelength? (i.e W < λ)Thanks for the help!

Homework Equations

n/a (this is a homework problem, but it is more theory based, so I have no work or equations)

The Attempt at a Solution

n/a

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "diffraction at a maximum"? How would you quantify the amount of diffraction?
By width, do you mean the separation of the slits or the width of the slits?
What level is this question posed at?

Usually students are taught an approximation of the diffraction maths which works well when the gap (multi-slit) is of the order of the wavelength of the light.

Simon Bridge said:
What do you mean by "diffraction at a maximum"? How would you quantify the amount of diffraction?
By width, do you mean the separation of the slits or the width of the slits?
What level is this question posed at?

Usually students are taught an approximation of the diffraction maths which works well when the gap (multi-slit) is of the order of the wavelength of the light.

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply!

By width, I mean the width of the slit opening (I am referring to single slit diffraction).

As for maximum diffraction, I see how that is not a great way to phrase it. Ignore 'maximum', so instead of "which would cause maximum diffraction", substitute "which would cause the most diffraction".

So you are saying that the most diffraction would occur when the width of the slit is in the same order of magnitude as the wavelength?, so would it then be right to say that less diffraction would occur if the wavelength is multiple orders of magnitude larger than the slit?

thanks for the help again!

In that case, same question with the new words.
How do you quantify the amount of diffraction soas to determine what is the most?

If the slit was almost zero width, what would the diffraction pattern look like?
What sort of diffraction work have you done so far? Any math? Any practical?

Simon Bridge said:
In that case, same question with the new words.
How do you quantify the amount of diffraction soas to determine what is the most?

If the slit was almost zero width, what would the diffraction pattern look like?
What sort of diffraction work have you done so far? Any math? Any practical?

Hi Simon, thanks for replying again, I really appreciate your help!

I am doing high school level physics (so it should be pretty basic - no complicated math, or experimentation, it is just purely conceptual), and as for 'most' diffraction, look at the image here http://www.imagen-estilo.com/images/Newsimages/diffract.jpg ,where the image in the top left corner represents a 'small amount' of diffraction, and the image in the top right hand corner represents 'larger' diffraction (ignore the bottom image).

I have not done any diffraction work so far, just miscellaneous questions from my textbook (but none of them specifically address this issue)

Hopefully that makes it clearer.

Thanks again for your time and help!

So what is itvabout the pics that tells you there is "more diffraction" in one than in the other?
Im not asking for my benifit, but to get you to think more scientifically.

Related to Optimum gap size for diffraction

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, encounters an obstacle or passes through a slit. This causes the wave to bend and spread out, creating a pattern of interference.

2. How does gap size affect diffraction?

The size of the gap through which the wave passes affects the amount of diffraction that occurs. A smaller gap will result in more significant diffraction, while a larger gap will result in less pronounced diffraction.

3. What is the optimum gap size for diffraction?

The optimum gap size for diffraction depends on the wavelength of the wave and the size of the obstacle or slit it is passing through. In general, the gap should be small enough to produce significant diffraction, but not so small that the diffraction pattern becomes too spread out to observe.

4. How is the optimum gap size calculated?

The optimum gap size can be calculated using the formula d sinθ = mλ, where d is the gap size, θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the diffraction pattern, and λ is the wavelength of the wave. This formula is known as the grating equation and is used to determine the optimum gap size for a specific diffraction setup.

5. What factors can affect the optimum gap size for diffraction?

Aside from the wavelength of the wave and the size of the obstacle or slit, other factors that can affect the optimum gap size for diffraction include the distance between the source of the wave and the obstacle or slit, the intensity of the wave, and the properties of the material the wave is passing through. These factors should be taken into consideration when determining the optimum gap size for a diffraction experiment.