Output short protection circuit

In summary, the circuit should work to current limit, but if just drawing excess current during operation and Q1 is at the threshold of turning on, the circuit becomes analog and oscillation might happen.
rohitsay89
I am making a totem pole digital output of 1.5-23v. i was searching for a protection circuit for the output short to ground and +24v dc. please help me out by sending a diagram of the circuit if possible.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Post the circuit you have first and we'll try to protect it. Not going to design the whole thing for you.

this is the circuit with which i am working please replace the resistors
R2 with 470ohm
R3 with 120ohm
R4 with 220ohm

also the supply voltage is +24v and gnd.

Attachments

• 319px-7400_Circuit.svg.png
    319px-7400_Circuit.svg.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 686
rohitsay89 said:
this is the circuit with which i am working please replace the resistors
R2 with 470ohm
R3 with 120ohm
R4 with 220ohm

also the supply voltage is +24v and gnd.

Somehow I can't open the image.

uploaded a jpeg version.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 593
rohitsay89 said:
uploaded a jpeg version.

I can protect V3 easier. Put a resistor R5 between the emitter of V3 and V5. Put 3 diodes D1, D2 and D3 in series with cathode of the D1 connect to the base of V3. The anode of D3 to the output. This will serve as current limiting. If you have a short from output to the ground, then you draw excess current from V3. The excess current will create a voltage drop across R5. As soon as there is 0.7V drop across R5, the voltage from base of V3 through V5 will be over 3 diode drop and D1 to D3 will turn on and start pulling current from the base of V5. This will serve as current limit. The value of R5 can be set depending on the maximum current you want to allow V3 to source.

It would be a little trickier to protect V4. You need to put extra transistor in. Say call the new NPN Q1. you put a resistor called R6 from emitter of V4 to ground so any current draw through V4 will create a voltage drop across R6. You put Q1 so the emitter connects to ground, base to junction between the emitter of V4 and R6. The collector of Q1 connects to the base of V4. So if enough current through V4 develops over 0.7V across R6, Q1 will turn on and pull base current from V4. This will serve to limit the current through V4. V2 should be save as R2 will limit current through Q1 to a few mA only.

This is my idea after a few minutes of looking. Someone might have better and easier way. I'll think about this a little more to see whether I can come up with something better.

thanks for your reply.. but still the problem exists.. the transistor v3 is not getting off when the output(23v) is shorted to ground. i am using the proteus software to simulate the circuit. i was also thinking in the direction to somehow switch off the transistor v3, but can't get anything..

You only have +5V, where's 23V? I am not trying to switch the V3 off, I am trying to current limit it. As you short the output to ground, current increase in V3 which increase the voltage across R5 beyond 0.7V and the three diodes turn on and pull current from the base of V3 and thereby limit the current of V3.

You better modify the schematic to show the +25V as you only have +5V and I just do accordingly.

sorry for the inconvenience created i am sending the edited schematic of the circuit. by the way i had written in my 2nd thread about the voltage levels..

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 594
If the supply is all 25V, my comment in post #8 stands. I am doing current limiting, not trying to turn off V3 when output is shorted to ground.

My main concern is the way I do current limiting on the low side where I use extra transistor Q1. For a clear cut short to +25V, the circuit should work to current limit, but if just drawing excess current during operation and Q1 is at the threshold of turning on, the circuit becomes analog and oscillation might happen. I yet to think of a safe way to do the protection of V5.

What is an output short protection circuit?

An output short protection circuit is an electronic circuit that is designed to protect a device from damage caused by a short circuit in the output. It is typically used in power supplies and amplifiers to prevent damage to the device and ensure safe operation.

How does an output short protection circuit work?

An output short protection circuit works by monitoring the output voltage and current of a device. If a short circuit is detected, the circuit will immediately shut off the power to the output, preventing any damage to the device. Some circuits may also include a fuse or a current-limiting device to further protect the device.

Why is an output short protection circuit important?

An output short protection circuit is important because it helps to prevent damage to a device and ensures safe operation. Without this circuit, a short circuit in the output could potentially damage the device and even cause a fire hazard.

What are the common types of output short protection circuits?

There are several common types of output short protection circuits, including current-limiting circuits, overcurrent protection circuits, and fuse-based protection circuits. The specific type used will depend on the device and its application.

Can an output short protection circuit be bypassed?

Technically, an output short protection circuit can be bypassed, but it is not recommended. Doing so can put the device at risk of damage and may also pose a safety hazard. It is best to always use the circuit as intended to ensure safe operation of the device.