1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PAM schematic or wiring diagram for Digital Communications

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    Hi. Who among you know a site where I can find a wiring diagram or schematic diagram of PAM (Pulse Amplitude Modulation)? I badly needed a diagram of it for my prototype in Digital Communications.

I've been searching for it in Google but it only gave me different diagrams and I can't tell which is which because I've never seen any PAM schematic diagram before. :(

The professor only told us that our second prototype is PAM. He only gave a brief description about what a PAM does. If I have not searched in the internet, I won't know that the meaning of PAM is Pulse Amplitude Modulation.

An article about what a PAM is, can be found in http://www.tech-faq.com/pulse-amplitude-modulation.html" [Broken]

I hope you can help me. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So to put out pulses of various amplitudes, you can use a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC). Probably the simplest version for you to use in your project would be an R-2R Ladder DAC. Alternately, you could use a current output mode DAC, and feed the output current into a current-to-voltage converter circuit (like with an opamp).

So that should give you some good search terms to use in your next try at Google and Wikipedia.org -- also try some of the DAC manufacturer websites like Maxim and Linear Technology, to look for application notes and tutorials.

Let us know what you find!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 9, 2010 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Aug 9, 2010 #4
    Thank you for your immediate response :)

I found a pdf file about a laboratory excercise in PAM (and demodulation).
    I think it's the one Im looking for.

The title is:
    LAB - 3
    PULSE AMPLITUDE MODULATION & DEMODULATION

and the circuit diagram is:
    diagram_by_yourautumn.png

My problem this time is the hardware requirements.
    I don't know what is the meaning of AFO, CRO and CPS.
    Can you pls tell me what are these things? So that I can go to a hardware shop immediately :)

Thanks!

6. Aug 9, 2010 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

From what I saw in the PAM links, the output is a series of rectangular pulses, with different amplitude rectangular pulses representing the encoded (modulated) information.

The schematic you posted looks to be an ON-OFF modulation of a sinusoidal source. From the title of the schematic/lab, it appears to be a different interpretation of PAM. Do you think that is what your lab is about?

7. Aug 9, 2010 #6
    Yes, that's the PAM I exactly need.
    You mean the circuit diagram I posted is a different interpretation of PAM. I see.

I'll try using the DAC you suggested then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook