Partial fractions integral problem

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for evaluating the integral \int_0^2 \frac{x-3}{2x-3}dx, specifically using partial fractions and substitution. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the vertical asymptote and the function's discontinuity in order to properly evaluate the integral.
suspenc3
Hi, IM trying to evaluate this, and I can't get started..I tried integration by partial fractions and substitution but I keep getting stuck.

[tex] \int_0^2 \frac{x-3}{2x-3}dx[/tex]

Any hints would help, Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be straightforward using partial fractions. Remember, since the polynomial in the numerator has the same degree as the one in the denominator, you need to add an extra unknown constant:

[tex]\frac{x-3}{2x-3} = \frac{A}{2x-3} +B [/tex]

Or, by inspection, just write x-3=(x-3/2)-3/2=1/2(2x-3)-3/2.

Consider that [tex]\frac{x-3}{2x-3}[/tex] has a vertical asymptote.

You can also do long (or synthetic) division to get

[tex]\frac{x-3}{2x-3}=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{3}{2(2x-3)}[/tex]

oh ok thanks..I had part of that earlier..but the last step makes it work

Thanks

yes I got [tex]\frac{x-3}{2x-3}=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{3}{2(2x-3)}[/tex]

..and continue to get [tex]-3ln(4x-6) + \frac{x}{2} \right]_2^0[/tex]

=[tex] [-3ln2 +1] - [-3ln|-6|][/tex]

suspenc3 said:
yes I got [tex]\frac{x-3}{2x-3}=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{3}{2(2x-3)}[/tex]

..and continue to get [tex]-3ln(4x-6) + \frac{x}{2} \right]_2^0[/tex]

=[tex] [-3ln2 +1] - [-3ln|-6|][/tex]

I think that what durt mentioned should be reemphasized that this is not just a definite integral but an improper integral since the function you are integrating has a vertical assymptote at x = 2/3 which lies inside of the interval you are integrating over.

But it's not continuous as D_leet said so...I'd break it in two integrals...

remember that integral from a to b + inegral from b to c = integral from a to c. Because of the asymptote, it has a sign change in there also...it goes from + to - so that complicates the one-integral process.

1. What are partial fractions and how are they used in integration?

Partial fractions are a method of breaking down a complex rational function into simpler fractions. This is useful in integration because it allows us to rewrite an integral as a sum of simpler integrals, making it easier to solve.

2. How do I determine the partial fractions for a given rational function?

To determine the partial fractions for a rational function, you need to first factor the denominator into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, you can set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown coefficients using algebraic manipulation.

3. Can I use partial fractions for any rational function?

Yes, partial fractions can be used for any rational function, as long as the denominator can be factored into linear and irreducible quadratic factors.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should approach solving a partial fractions integral problem?

Yes, there is a recommended order to solve a partial fractions integral problem. First, factor the denominator and then determine the partial fractions. Next, integrate each partial fraction separately. Finally, combine the integrals and solve for the constant of integration.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving partial fractions integral problems?

Yes, some common mistakes to watch out for include forgetting to fully factor the denominator, making errors in setting up the system of equations, and neglecting to include the constant of integration when integrating the partial fractions.