Path length difference and Diffraction

In summary: Adding the glass does add extra waves to the medium, which in turn affects the light's path. The extra number of waves causes the path to be longer. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

A double slit experiment is set up using a helium-neon laser (wavelength 633 nm). Suppose we add a small piece of glass (n = 1.50) over one of the slits. Then, the central point on the screen is occupied by what had been the m = 10 dark fringe. Determine the thickness t of the glass.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to figure out how to understand the solution to this problem. Basically the solution shows as a reference the diagram attached. However, what I don't understand is why would adding the glass shift the rays like that? Is there any known explanation for that? How do we know that the interference that produces the central fringe is shifted?

Then, the solution stated finding the number of the wavelengths in both the glass and the "no glass interface". The equations are m1 = t/λ and m2 = (nt)/λ. Then, it states that the path length has increased by Δm wavelengths. Why is this the case? I thought that the path length was the "extra distance" that one of the rays had traveled with respect with the other. Is there a way to say in this case that the path length will be "Δm"?

I am sorry if I am not clear, but the topic is very confusing for me right now (especially understanding how does glass shift the fringe patterns and the meaning of the path length difference). Thanks for your patience.

Image link: http://imgur.com/aTBc067

Physics news on Phys.org
fogvajarash said:

Homework Statement

A double slit experiment is set up using a helium-neon laser (wavelength 633 nm). Suppose we add a small piece of glass (n = 1.50) over one of the slits. Then, the central point on the screen is occupied by what had been the m = 10 dark fringe. Determine the thickness t of the glass.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to figure out how to understand the solution to this problem. Basically the solution shows as a reference the diagram attached. However, what I don't understand is why would adding the glass shift the rays like that? Is there any known explanation for that? How do we know that the interference that produces the central fringe is shifted?

Then, the solution stated finding the number of the wavelengths in both the glass and the "no glass interface". The equations are m1 = t/λ and m2 = (nt)/λ. Then, it states that the path length has increased by Δm wavelengths. Why is this the case? I thought that the path length was the "extra distance" that one of the rays had traveled with respect with the other. Is there a way to say in this case that the path length will be "Δm"?

I am sorry if I am not clear, but the topic is very confusing for me right now (especially understanding how does glass shift the fringe patterns and the meaning of the path length difference). Thanks for your patience.

Image link: http://imgur.com/aTBc067

The wavelength is reduced in the glass relative to what it is in a vacuum . There are more waves in the glass than there would be with the glass removed. So it is as if there is added path length for light traveling through the glass.

SammyS said:
The wavelength is reduced in the glass relative to what it is in a vacuum . There are more waves in the glass than there would be with the glass removed. So it is as if there is added path length for light traveling through the glass.
Thanks, that's helpful. I understand that there are less waves in the vacuum medium, but how does this relate to the path length? Does the "extra number of wavelengths" mean path length? And as well, I still don't understand why having the glass would deflect the light rays in that way (both in the vacuum slit and in the slit with glass) to produce the central maximum. Why is this?

Thank you for your answer.

1. What is path length difference?

Path length difference is the difference in distance that a light wave travels between two points. This difference can occur due to changes in the medium or obstacles in the path of the light.

2. How does path length difference affect diffraction?

Path length difference is a key factor in determining the amount of diffraction that occurs. When the path length difference is large, the diffraction effect will be greater, resulting in a more spread out and less focused light pattern.

3. What is the relationship between path length difference and wavelength?

The path length difference is directly proportional to the wavelength of the light. This means that as the wavelength increases, the path length difference will also increase, resulting in a larger diffraction effect.

4. How does the size of an obstacle affect path length difference?

The size of an obstacle has a direct impact on the path length difference. A larger obstacle will create a larger path length difference, resulting in a greater diffraction effect. Similarly, a smaller obstacle will create a smaller path length difference and a smaller diffraction effect.

5. What is the practical application of understanding path length difference and diffraction?

Understanding path length difference and diffraction is important in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and radio waves. It helps in designing and optimizing devices such as lenses, microscopes, antennas, and audio systems. It also allows for the manipulation and control of light and sound waves for various applications.