How can the pebble stay on the wheel as it rolls?

• Thread starter cacofolius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the problem at hand involves a wheel of radius R rolling at velocity V and a pebble being placed on top of the wheel. It is asked to show that the pebble will immediately fly off if V is greater than the square root of R multiplied by gravity. The solution involves considering the cycloid path of a point on the wheel's rim and using the radius of curvature at the highest point. However, this can be simplified by using a frame of reference moving with the wheel's axle.
cacofolius

Homework Statement

A wheel of radius R rolls along the ground with velocity V.
A pebble is carefully released on top of the wheel so that it is instantaneously at rest on the wheel.

Show that the pebble will immediately fly off the wheel if V> sqrt(Rg)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I know this problem's been asked before, but since they're old posts, and didn't quite understood the clues given there, I decided to ask one more time.

I understand that if the centripetal acceleration equals or is less than gravity, then the pebble will not immediately fly off, but in this case the tangential velocity at the top will be 2v (taken from the floor), and thus the distance will be 2R. Therefore

(2v)^2/(2R)=g and V=sqrt(Rg/2)

I feel I'm missing something, any hints will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
From the point of view of the reference frame at rest with respect to the ground, a point on the rim of the wheel travels along a cycloid. So, the radius that you would need to use is the radius of curvature of a cycloid at the highest point.

You can avoid all that by going to the frame of reference moving with the axle of the wheel.

Oh, then its more simple. Thanks!

What is a "Pebble on wheel (reprised)"?

A "Pebble on wheel (reprised)" is a scientific thought experiment that explores the concept of motion on a circular track. It involves a pebble placed on a wheel that is rolling on a circular track, and the observation of the motion of the pebble as the wheel moves.

What is the purpose of the "Pebble on wheel (reprised)" experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to illustrate the principles of motion, including velocity, acceleration, and centripetal force. It also helps to demonstrate the relationship between rotational and linear motion.

What factors affect the motion of the pebble in the "Pebble on wheel (reprised)" experiment?

The motion of the pebble is affected by the velocity and acceleration of the wheel, as well as the radius of the circular track. The mass and size of the pebble may also have an impact on its motion.

What is the significance of the "Pebble on wheel (reprised)" experiment in physics?

The "Pebble on wheel (reprised)" experiment is significant in physics because it helps to illustrate important concepts such as rotational motion, centripetal force, and the relationship between rotational and linear motion. It also provides a practical example of these principles in action.

How does the "Pebble on wheel (reprised)" experiment relate to real-world applications?

The principles demonstrated in the experiment have real-world applications in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and astronomy. The concept of centripetal force, in particular, is important in understanding the motion of objects in circular motion, such as planets orbiting around the sun.