1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum homework problem

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    I need to solve this problem
    proof that sum of kinetic and potentional energy in every part of pendulums(every dot of pendulums swing) swing is equal...
    Sorry for bad eanglish
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this for homework? What have you tried so far?
  4. Sep 11, 2008 #3
    no it is not for homework i had that question on exam and i didnt know the answer and i have thinked and thinked after that abaut that and i dont know the solution I have tried to solve that problem with trigonometry but nothing after that i try to solve energy for some dot A on the swing and for some dot B on the swing but my results for dot A and B are not the same....
  5. Sep 12, 2008 #4
    If you describe the motion of the pendulum by the angle, say theta, and the write down the kinetic energy T and the potential energy V you will see that T is quadratic in the time derivative of theta and V is only a function of position theta.
    In such a system the Hamiltonian H will be the total energy H = T + V = E and since H does not depend explicitly on time the partial derivative of H with respect to time is zero and hence H is conserved during the motion of the system.
  6. Sep 12, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi maracxos! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What are you allowed to assume?

Can you assume that gravitational force is conservative?

If so, then just prove that there is no work done by the only other external force … the tension. :smile:
  7. Sep 12, 2008 #6
    Ok thank you!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?