1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Per unit fault impedance

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the relationships:

Xpu = MVAbase / MVAfault

Xpu = ( MVAbase / MVArated ) * ( X% / 100 )

MVAfault = sqrt(3) * V * Ifault

Xohms = [ V / sqrt(3) ] * Ifault

2. Relevant equations

Show that:

Xpu = [ MVAbase / V^2 ] * Xohms

3. The attempt at a solution

No matter how I approach this problem I keep finding that one of the given relationships must be incorrect. Could someone with better algebra skills then me please take a look and confirm whether (a) there is an error in the set problem or (b) I'm just being dense?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

I have no idea of what you are trying to ask - but "Xohms = [ V / sqrt(3) ] * Ifault" seems very wrong. Resistance (ohms) is always Voltage divided by current.

4. Apr 21, 2015 #3
    Please see the attachment for the problem in its original format, which should make things clearer.

I have solved the derivation of equation 5(a).

I can solve the derivation of equation 5(b) no problem using "V=IX" (ignoring the resistance of the cables for the purposes of the fault calculation, as instructed in the problem).

What I can't see is how the given equation "Xohms = [ V / sqrt(3) ] * Ifault" fits into the derivation of equation 5(b). This equation seems wrong.

Attached Files:

5. Apr 22, 2015 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

A typo. It should be "Xohms = V /[sqrt(3) * Ifault]".

6. Apr 23, 2015 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Or, equivalently, Xohms = [ V / sqrt(3) ] / Ifault

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted