1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate 3ph short circuit symmetrical fault, per unit method.

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the three-phase short-circuit fault currents flowing into all five busbars.

2. Relevant equations

MVA base = 150MVA
    All base voltages were set to the local busbar voltages.

Formulas I have used can be seen in the attached photos.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attached two photos, the first shows me calculating the short-circuit fault current to busbar 5. I have made a per unit diagram and ignored the j terms as there is not resistance for less hassle. I have simulated this using software and it confirms my answer.

The next photo is the problem I'm stuck on, calculating the short-circuit fault current to busbar 2 (BB2). I get stuck because I can't simplify the circuit anymore to get the X fault per unit value. I have tried to use current and voltage dividers, but can't get anywhere near the answer. I have also simulated this problem and get the answer to be 15.954kA

Any help would be great, and please ask if you need more information.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted