• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Phase difference

• Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A plane-wave is incident on an air-glass interface at 30° as shown below. Calculate the phase difference between A and B. Assume λo=1μm.

attatched is an image that looks like this.

--------------------------- A

--------------------------- B

the angle is incident from above at 30°. the distance between A and B is 1μm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i really just need a bit of guidance. I feel as if i should have a formula for this but i don't. the book and my class notes aren't being much help either.

Answers and Replies

A plane-wave is incident on an air-glass interface at 30° as shown below. Calculate the phase difference between A and B. Assume λo=1μm.
what is the wavelength given -in air or glass-
if it is in air -one can calculate the wavelength in glass after refraction at 30 degree incidence and move ahead calculating the phase changes as it travels in glass.
where lies the actual hurdle?

How do I calculate the phase change? Like I said, I feel like I'm missing a formula.

How do I calculate the phase change? Like I said, I feel like I'm missing a formula.
Phase and path traversed is related by simple concept-
When a wave travels full wavelength the it returns to identical phase- so a translation of lambda leads to phase change of 2.Pi
therefore phase difference = (2.Pi/ Wavelength). path length

Phase and path traversed is related by simple concept-
When a wave travels full wavelength the it returns to identical phase- so a translation of lambda leads to phase change of 2.Pi
therefore phase difference = (2.Pi/ Wavelength). path length
If that's the case then wouldn't the phase difference be 2pi since the wave length and path length are the same?

If that's the case then wouldn't the phase difference be 2pi since the wave length and path length are the same?
well one must consider the refraction and due to refraction the wave is inclined at certain angle -moreover the waves traverse the glass medium with changed wavelength which is related to refractive index of the medium -pick up a text book on refraction.