Plotting Phase Space for Double Pendulum

In summary, the equation for ##\theta_2## is given in the picture of the wiki link, and it is a first order equation that needs to be converted into a second order equation. Once the second order equation is solved, ##\theta_2## will be the same as the ##\theta_2## in ##x_2 = x_1 + L_2\;\sin\theta_2##.
Robben

Homework Statement

For a double pendulum, how do we plot the phase space for ##\theta_2## (the lower of the pendulum), i.e. the plot ##\theta_2, \ \dot{\theta}_2?##

• ##x## = horizontal position of pendulum mass
  • ##y## = vertical position of pendulum mass
  • ##\theta## = angle of pendulum (0 = vertical downwards, counter-clockwise is positive)
  • ##L## = length of rod (constant)

Homework Equations

F = ma
##x_1 = L_1\sin \theta_1##
##y_1 = L_1\cos \theta_1##

(the ##_1## subscript is the upper pendulum while ##_2## is the lower pendulum)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the equation for ##\theta''_2## (which is pretty long to write in here, but I will write if you guys want me to) and I converted the second order equation into a first order, by substituting ##\theta''_2## to ##\omega'_2##, i.e. ##\omega'_2 = \theta''_2##, but I am wondering what exactly is ##\theta_2## suppose to be here?

Will our ##\theta_2## just be the ##\theta_2## in ##x_2 = x_1 + L_2 \sin\theta_2##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify the question ? I mean, the answer "the same way as for ##\theta_1##" is probably not what you are looking for...

Idem for "yes" to the question "will our ##\theta_2## just be the ##\theta_2## in ##x_2 = x_1 + L_2\;\sin\theta_2## ?"

What is it that we can do for you ? You are aware that there is no analytic solution for this seemingly simple device (see wiki) ?

BvU said:
Can you clarify the question ? I mean, the answer "the same way as for ##\theta_1##" is probably not what you are looking for...

Idem for "yes" to the question "will our ##\theta_2## just be the ##\theta_2## in ##x_2 = x_1 + L_2\;\sin\theta_2## ?"

What is it that we can do for you ? You are aware that there is no analytic solution for this seemingly simple device (see wiki) ?

The link that you provided has a good picture. I want to plot a graph of the angular velocity and the ##\theta_2## that is given in the picture of the wiki link you provided. But how do I find ##\theta_2## and ##\dot{\theta_2}##?

Same link says
##\theta_1 = ## (... complicated expression), ##\theta_2 = ## (idem) ...(etc) are explicit formulae for the time evolution of the system given its current state. It is not possible to go further and integrate these equations analytically, to get formulae for θ1 and θ2 as functions of time. It is however possible to perform this integration numerically using the Runge Kutta method or similar techniques.
See also wolfram alpha

Likes Robben
BvU said:
Same link says See also wolfram alpha

In the link, it provided ##\dot{\theta_2}## so in order to find ##\theta_2## I have to integrate ##\dot{\theta_2}## by using Runge Kutta?

The expression for ##\dot\theta_2## happens to contain all four time-dependent variables ( ## \theta_1,\; \theta_2,\; p_{\theta_1}, \; p_{\theta_2}\; ##), so you will have to provide initial values for all four of them and then integrate all four of them...

It's a bit of work, but then you'll get the nicest phase space plots corresponding to the spectacular animated pictures in the link !

Oh wow, that will be a lot of work. So that's the only option huh. What will be good initial conditions for them?

Check with the animated pics in the link ! But ##\pi/2, \pi/2, 0,0## seems to be one of them and it sure rocks !

PS plotting while stepping is much more attractive than calculating the whole thing first and then producing a still picture. It will be chaotic anyway, most of the time.

Likes Robben
Thank you very much!

1. What is phase space in relation to double pendulum?

The phase space of a physical system, such as a double pendulum, refers to the space of all possible states that the system can exist in. It is a mathematical representation of the system's position and momentum at any given time.

2. How is phase space plotted for a double pendulum?

Phase space for a double pendulum is typically plotted using a graph with the horizontal axis representing the position of the first pendulum and the vertical axis representing the position of the second pendulum. Each point on the graph represents a unique combination of positions for the two pendulums at a specific time.

3. What is the significance of plotting phase space for a double pendulum?

Plotting phase space for a double pendulum allows us to visualize the complex and chaotic behavior of the system. It also helps us understand how small changes in initial conditions can lead to vastly different outcomes.

4. What factors affect the shape of phase space for a double pendulum?

The shape of phase space for a double pendulum can be affected by factors such as the length and mass of the pendulums, the initial conditions, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. How can plotting phase space for a double pendulum be used in research or practical applications?

Phase space analysis of a double pendulum can be used in research to study chaotic systems and to make predictions about the behavior of similar systems. It can also be used in practical applications, such as in the design of mechanical systems or in predicting the behavior of weather patterns.