1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase space

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a double pendulum, how do we plot the phase space for ##\theta_2## (the lower of the pendulum), i.e. the plot ##\theta_2, \ \dot{\theta}_2?##

• ##x## = horizontal position of pendulum mass
    • ##y## = vertical position of pendulum mass
    • ##\theta## = angle of pendulum (0 = vertical downwards, counter-clockwise is positive)
    • ##L## = length of rod (constant)

2. Relevant equations

F = ma
    ##x_1 = L_1\sin \theta_1##
    ##y_1 = L_1\cos \theta_1##

(the ##_1## subscript is the upper pendulum while ##_2## is the lower pendulum)

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the equation for ##\theta''_2## (which is pretty long to write in here, but I will write if you guys want me to) and I converted the second order equation into a first order, by substituting ##\theta''_2## to ##\omega'_2##, i.e. ##\omega'_2 = \theta''_2##, but I am wondering what exactly is ##\theta_2## suppose to be here?

Will our ##\theta_2## just be the ##\theta_2## in ##x_2 = x_1 + L_2 \sin\theta_2##?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you clarify the question ? I mean, the answer "the same way as for ##\theta_1##" is probably not what you are looking for...

Idem for "yes" to the question "will our ##\theta_2## just be the ##\theta_2## in ##x_2 = x_1 + L_2\;\sin\theta_2## ?"

What is it that we can do for you ? You are aware that there is no analytic solution for this seemingly simple device (see wiki) ?

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3
    The link that you provided has a good picture. I want to plot a graph of the angular velocity and the ##\theta_2## that is given in the picture of the wiki link you provided. But how do I find ##\theta_2## and ##\dot{\theta_2}##?

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same link says
    See also wolfram alpha

6. Feb 23, 2015 #5
    In the link, it provided ##\dot{\theta_2}## so in order to find ##\theta_2## I have to integrate ##\dot{\theta_2}## by using Runge Kutta?

7. Feb 23, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The expression for ##\dot\theta_2## happens to contain all four time-dependent variables ( ## \theta_1,\; \theta_2,\; p_{\theta_1}, \; p_{\theta_2}\; ##), so you will have to provide initial values for all four of them and then integrate all four of them...

It's a bit of work, but then you'll get the nicest phase space plots corresponding to the spectacular animated pictures in the link !

8. Feb 23, 2015 #7
    Oh wow, that will be a lot of work. So that's the only option huh. What will be good initial conditions for them?

9. Feb 23, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check with the animated pics in the link ! But ##\pi/2, \pi/2, 0,0## seems to be one of them and it sure rocks !

PS plotting while stepping is much more attractive than calculating the whole thing first and then producing a still picture. It will be chaotic anyway, most of the time.

10. Feb 23, 2015 #9
    Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted