Physical Oceanography / Tide Problem

In summary, the effective depth can be calculated by taking the square root of the product of the wave speed and acceleration due to gravity.
PhysO

Homework Statement

Two ports along a coastline are 300 km apart. One port has high tides 30 minutes later than the other. How deep is the effective depth for the tidal propagation?

Homework Equations

I am thinking I need the following equation: V = square root (g*H). V = velocity. g = 9.8 m/s^2. H = the depth of tidal propagation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the velocity (300 km/ 30 min = 167 m / s). Then I entered that into the equation, V = square root (g*H). I got H = 2845.8 m. I am wondering if this is the right approach for this problem. It seems too simple.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct, but there are a few things you can clarify to make your solution more complete.

First, it would be helpful to specify the units for your velocity calculation. In this case, the units should be in meters per second (m/s).

Second, you should also specify the units for your depth calculation. In this case, the units should be in meters (m).

Additionally, it would be helpful to explain why you used the given equation, V = square root (g*H), and how it relates to the problem. This equation is known as the shallow water wave speed equation, and it is commonly used to calculate the speed of waves in shallow bodies of water. In this case, the wave speed (V) is equal to the square root of the product of the acceleration due to gravity (g) and the depth of the water (H). This equation is relevant to the problem because it allows us to calculate the depth of the tidal propagation based on the known wave speed and acceleration due to gravity.

Finally, to make your solution more clear and concise, you can write your final answer as follows:

The effective depth for the tidal propagation is 2845.8 meters. This was calculated using the shallow water wave speed equation, V = square root (g*H), with a wave speed of 167 m/s and an acceleration due to gravity of 9.8 m/s^2.

1. What is physical oceanography?

Physical oceanography is the study of the physical properties and processes of the ocean, including its temperature, salinity, currents, and tides. It involves using a combination of observational, theoretical, and computational methods to understand how the ocean moves and interacts with the atmosphere, land, and living organisms.

2. How do tides form?

Tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the Earth's oceans. As the Earth rotates, the bulge of water created by this gravitational pull moves around the planet, causing the water levels to rise and fall in a cyclical pattern.

3. What factors affect tides?

Several factors can affect the height and timing of tides, including the position of the moon and sun, the shape of the coastline, and the depth and topography of the ocean floor. Weather conditions can also have an impact on tides, as strong winds can cause the water to pile up and create higher or lower tides.

4. How do tides impact marine life?

Tides have a significant impact on marine life, as they can affect the availability of food and shelter for many organisms. Some species have adapted to live in areas with strong tides, while others rely on the regular ebb and flow of tides for their life cycles, such as spawning and feeding patterns.

5. How are tides predicted and measured?

Tides are predicted using mathematical models that take into account the location, depth, and topography of the ocean, as well as the position of the moon and sun. Tides can also be measured using tide gauges, which record the water levels at specific locations over time. These measurements help scientists track changes in tides and understand their effects on the ocean and coastal regions.