1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical pendulum and meter stick

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    A physical pendulum consists of a meter stick that is pivoted at a small hole drilled through the stick a distance x from the 50. cm mark. The period of oscillation is observed to be 1.656 s. Find the distance x.

I know I have to find the moment of Inertia and I believe the equation for this is I=1/2mL^2 + mx^2 is this the right equation? Then use the equation T= 2pie(I/mgx)^1/2.

This is what I did but it's not right so if any one can point out any errors will be greatly appreciated:
    I=1/2mL^2 + mx^2
    I=1/2m(0.5)^2 + mx^2
    I=0.125m + mx^2

1.656=2pie{(0.125m + mx^2)/(9.8mx)}^1/2
    0.263= {(0.125+x)/9.8}^1/2

Is this right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2
    I believe the factor for your moment of inertia is off. I=(1/2)mL^2 is the moment of inertia of a disc. I think you should be using the moment of inertia for a rod, which turns out is just a different factor... it may be 1/3 instead of 1/2. You should look this up though, I'm not entirely positive.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?