Physics Challenge Question: Stability on a Cylinder

In summary, the cube can rock on the cylinder at any angle, but will topple over at an angle of approximately ##angle_o## if sliding is not taken into account.
IDValour

Homework Statement

A solid cube of side ##l = r*pi/2## and of uniform density is placed on the highest point of a cylinder of radius ##r## as shown in the attached figure. If the cylinder is sufficiently rough that no sliding occurs, calculate the full range of the angle through which the block and swing (or wobble) without tipping off. (You can assume this range of equilibrium positions is stable).

Homework Equations

None that I've been made aware of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to consider this in terms of a point at which the center of mass is directly above the axis of rotation but I'm struggling from there to be honest. Stability isn't something we've covered in my spec, so I'm not sure I have the knowledge to tackle this. I tried drawing a couple diagrams but I didn't get far.

Attachments

• Bad diagram.png
    Bad diagram.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 747
Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend writing an expression for the potential energy of the cube as it rocks on the cylinder. You can find the stable and unstable equilibrium by differentiating the expression.

Likes chris2020
The source of this problem claims not to need calculus of any form.

IDValour said:
calculate the full range of the angle through which the block and swing
Did you mean to type 'through which the block can swing'?

If sliding is assumed not to happen then the question becomes one of at what angle does the block topple over, when balancing on the midpoint of its lowest side (the pivot point). Think about the relationship between the centre of gravity of the block, the pivot point and the direction of the force of gravity.

IDValour said:
I'm trying to consider this in terms of a point at which the center of mass is directly above the axis of rotation ...

Yes, I think that's the key idea.
Draw a picture corresponding to this special configuration.

Last edited:

What is the concept of stability on a cylinder in physics?

The concept of stability on a cylinder in physics refers to the ability of an object to remain in a stable position on top of a cylindrical surface, without falling or tipping over. This is influenced by factors such as the object's center of mass, the shape and size of the object, and the friction between the object and the cylinder.

What factors affect the stability of an object on a cylinder?

The stability of an object on a cylinder is affected by its center of mass, the shape and size of the object, the surface area in contact with the cylinder, the surface roughness of the cylinder, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or vibrations.

How does the center of mass affect the stability of an object on a cylinder?

The center of mass is a point where the entire mass of an object is concentrated. If the object's center of mass lies directly above the point of contact with the cylinder, it will be in a state of stable equilibrium and will not tip over. However, if the center of mass is not directly above the point of contact, the object may experience a torque and fall off the cylinder.

What is the difference between stable and unstable equilibrium on a cylinder?

Stable equilibrium on a cylinder refers to the state where an object is balanced and will not fall or tip over, even when disturbed slightly. Unstable equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to the state where an object is balanced but any slight disturbance will cause it to fall or tip over.

How can the stability of an object on a cylinder be increased?

The stability of an object on a cylinder can be increased by increasing its surface area in contact with the cylinder, lowering its center of mass, or increasing the friction between the object and the cylinder. Additionally, adding weight to the base of the object or using a wider cylinder can also increase stability.