Spring Extension and Force Distribution in Ideal Mass-Spring Systems

In summary, the spring will pull each side with the same force, but if the extension is different, the tension in the spring will be different.
sachin123
Please consider the following case:

Spring connected at both ends by some masses.Everything is ideal.
Find the extension of the spring.
[URL]http://img101.imageshack.us/i/unledpi.jpg/[/URL]
http://img101.imageshack.us/i/unledpi.jpg/

My big question is ...if the spring extends by a length say 'x',then will it pull both sides by kx where k is its spring constant or,will it pull each side by a different force?
(like kx/2)
Can you also reason why?

Lets take 1st case.For equilibrium kx=m1g=m2g.This happens only if both the masses are equal.
Otherwise is the system bound to collapse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

sachin123 said:
My big question is ...if the spring extends by a length say 'x',then will it pull both sides by kx where k is its spring constant or,will it pull each side by a different force?
The stretch of the spring just depends on the tension it is placed under. Just like a massless string under tension, each end is pulled with the same force.

Okay,then consider the 1 st situation I put up with both the masses same say 'm'.
Now,let extension of spring be 'x'.
As you said,the spring pulls both the blocks with the same force kx and this force keeps each block in equilibrium.That makes kx=mg so x=mg/k.
But,considering tensions,the tension in both the strings have to be mg,so as to pull the spring in opposite directions by forces mg each.
So spring is under a net force of 2mg.
So the extension must be
2mg/k.
Now where did I go wrong?

sachin123 said:
But,considering tensions,the tension in both the strings have to be mg,so as to pull the spring in opposite directions by forces mg each.
So spring is under a net force of 2mg.
So the extension must be
2mg/k.
Now where did I go wrong?
Where you are going wrong is in thinking that if a string (say) is pulled by a force F at each end, that the tension is 2F not F. Not so. The tension in a string or a spring is the force that it exerts at each end.

Imagine this. Attach a spring to the ceiling. Hang a mass m from it. What's the tension in the spring? With what force does the ceiling pull up on the spring?

Okay,I got the case when same force acts at both ends.
How about this?I take a spring in my hand vertically,and pull the upper part by 5N amd the lower part with the other hand by 10 N.
As you said:
"The tension in a string or a spring is the force that it exerts at each end."
now no matter by what length the spring expands,it will pull both the ends with the same force.But my hand pulls them with different forces.Now how can it ever stay in equilibrium?
(I find the same problem when I do series spring combination problems)

sachin123 said:
How about this?I take a spring in my hand vertically,and pull the upper part by 5N amd the lower part with the other hand by 10 N.
Sorry, but it's physically impossible to pull a massless spring with different forces on each end.

Okay then.Thank you

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be expressed as k = F/x.

What is the relationship between a spring's stiffness and its spring constant?

Stiffness refers to a material's resistance to deformation. The stiffer the material, the higher the spring constant will be. This means that a spring with a higher stiffness will require a greater force to produce the same amount of displacement compared to a spring with a lower stiffness.

What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion occurs when a system, such as a spring, oscillates back and forth with a constant amplitude and period. Damped harmonic motion, on the other hand, occurs when an external force, such as friction, causes the amplitude of the oscillation to decrease over time.

How does the mass of an object affect the period of a spring's oscillation?

The mass of an object does not affect the period of a spring's oscillation. The period is solely dependent on the spring constant and the mass does not play a role in the equation for period (T = 2π√(m/k)). However, a heavier mass may require a larger force to produce the same amount of displacement, thus affecting the amplitude of the oscillation.