Physics Homework Question due in 20mins, literally have no idea what i'm doing

In summary, using the conservation of momentum, we can determine the initial velocity of the first person after throwing the snowball. The total momentum of the system (snowball and first person) is equal to the momentum of the snowball before being thrown plus the momentum of the first person after throwing the snowball. This can be represented by the equation (m1 + m2)*v1 = m1*v2 + m2*v3, where m1 is the mass of the snowball, m2 is the mass of the first person, v1 is the initial velocity of the first person, v2 is the initial velocity of the snowball, and v3 is the final velocity of the first person. By
Jrlandshark

Homework Statement

A(n) 71.3 kg person throws a(n) 0.047 kg snowball forward with a ground speed of 45 m/s. A second person, of mass 64.7 kg, catches the snowball. Both people are on skates. The first person is initially moving forward with a speed of 2.28 m/s, and the second person is initially at rest.

What is the velocity of the first person immediately after the snowball is thrown? Disregard friction between the skates and the ice.

Answer in units of m/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
3. The Attempt at a Solution ?

What method do you use to solve this problem?

Conservation of momentum which states that the mass and velocity of the snowball thrower and whatever he let's go of is constant. Imagine yourself in the problem- or on a desk chair with feet up and shoving a bowling ball forward as fast as you can. You will recoil. Forget the second person altogether.

(mass of snowball + mass of skater)*2.28m/s=(mass of snowball*45m/s)+mass of skater* unknown velocity

1. Why is it important to complete my physics homework on time?

Completing your physics homework on time is important because it allows you to stay on track with your studies and understand the concepts being taught in class. It also helps you to practice and reinforce your understanding of the subject, which is crucial for success in physics.

2. What should I do if I have no idea how to solve a physics homework question?

If you have no idea how to solve a physics homework question, the first thing you should do is re-read the question and try to understand what it is asking. Then, review your class notes and textbook for relevant information and examples. If you still can't figure it out, don't be afraid to ask your teacher or a classmate for help.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics to do better on my homework?

To improve your understanding of physics, you should actively engage in class and take thorough notes. It can also be helpful to review your notes and textbook after class and complete additional practice problems. You can also seek out online resources or join a study group to further enhance your understanding.

4. Is it okay to use online resources to help me with my physics homework?

Yes, it is okay to use online resources to help you with your physics homework. However, make sure to use reputable sources and avoid simply copying answers without understanding the concepts. Using online resources can be a helpful supplement to your learning, but it should not replace actively engaging in class and studying on your own.

5. How can I manage my time effectively to complete my physics homework in 20 minutes?

To manage your time effectively and complete your physics homework in 20 minutes, it is important to prioritize and stay focused. Start with the questions that you know how to solve and then move on to the more challenging ones. Don't spend too much time on one question and come back to it later if needed. It can also be helpful to set a timer for each question and stick to it to ensure you stay on track.