1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question (FLUIDS/PRESSURE)

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    A research submarine has a 20.0 cm-diameter window 8.90 cm thick. The manufacturer says the window can withstand forces up to 1.10×10^6 N. What is the submarine's maximum safe depth?

The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1.0 atm.
    The sub is in salt water

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi jason_r,

What have you tried so far?

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    I''ll show you what ive got so far
    plz let me know if im doing this right, because i dont have a key or anything.
    thanks

P=P_o + pgh
    1.10 x 10^6= 1 + (1030)(9.8)(h)
    h=1.1 x 10^3m

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

There are two problems with this line. You have 1.10 x 10^6 on the left side; that is the force the window experiences, but in this equation you need the pressure that's on the window. So how can you find the pressure on the window if you know the force on the window?

Also, the first term on the right side: you seem to be saying that P_o is 1 atm, which is definitely true; however, to match the other term you need P_o to be in units of Pascals.

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    ok, so..
    this is what i have now:

P=P_o + pgh
    35014087.48=(P_o(air) - P_o(sub)) + (1030)(9.8)(h)
    h=3.47 x 10^3
    (does the pressure of air on top of the sea cancel the pressure of air in the sub?)
    Also can you confirm that i have the correct anser?
    thanks

7. Sep 16, 2008 #6

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Yes, those pressures will cancel if you calculate it in one step, and that answer looks right to me. (As long as you have the right value for the density of seawater.)

8. Sep 16, 2008 #7
    k thnx

9. Sep 16, 2008 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?